OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Vote... Buying tomorrow - 3.0L Di or 3.0L CRD ??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MozzieWA View Post
    Hi All
    I gave it a full check-up today. No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).

There was a small puff of greyish/white smoke (not black) just at start-up (like 3 secs). Then nothing at revs. Not thinking head gasket, as oil looks fine on stick & nothing showing in filler cap.
    Wheel wobble and pulling left is a Patrol trait... sometimes just a tyre rotation will fix the wobble it but can be many things. Pulling left either get used to it or spend bigger dollars on offset swivel hub bearings

Get an 'inspection opinion' on that smoke tho, cobber...
    puff of black on start up = no problems just a bit of extra diesel
    puff of white is not so good... thats oil getting into there somehow
    Last edited by the evil twin; 8th January 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    How do you figure that ? It has over 100,000 K's on the clock.

I'd almost bet it is past 3 years old as well but doesn't matter the new car warranty will be expired because of the K's
    Yep....Must have Figured that wrong should have written "You MIGHT STILL have some new car warranty" would have been better advice but your right mate, 100,000ks would have been the warranty i would have thought.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).
    This is a really common fault on the GUs mate, I would be really pushing the point with the dealer though (play dumb a little though until it is yours) and get them to sort it out while you still have statutory Warranty. Get them to acknowledge the problem and then push them hard for a fix.

A re balance is unlikely to fix it, a rotation might alter it. I had my swivel hubs rebuilt chasing this under statutory warranty with no joy, I got new tyres fitted at their expense too and it kind of went away ( i could just feel it but nothing like it had been) This lasted just long enough to exit the warranty then the front left tyre scrubbed out and it all went to crap. Don't give up on the chase unless it is perfect mate cause once you do the problem becomes yours.

I ended up fitting an offset king pin bearing race to the left side with a perfect result. There are a couple of threads around on this fix but here is a link to what i used.

http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/content/view/192/338/

It cost me less than $400 fitted and changed the Patrol forever. Highly recommend.

As Evil Twin said, get you smoke evaluated before any decisions are made though and good luck.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yep....Must have Figured that wrong should have written "You MIGHT STILL have some new car warranty" would have been better advice but your right mate, 100,000ks would have been the warranty i would have thought.
    No wuckers... Hey, i see by your next post that you are someone who put in offset swivel hub bearings.

Did you do it yourself ? ...and... How noticeable is it (if at all) on the traks etc where there is no camber?

PS sorry for the 'jack but it is sorta still on subject
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    Thanks for the overwhelming vote for the CRD.

I gave it a full check-up today. No big concerns... except, wheel alignment (tracking to the left) and a slight juddering of the steering wheel at 90-110kph. (I'm putting that down to wheel balance... tell me if you think I'm wrong).

There was a small puff of greyish/white smoke (not black) just at start-up (like 3 secs). Then nothing at revs. Not thinking head gasket, as oil looks fine on stick & nothing showing in filler cap.

Once they sort the wheels....(& I get a smooth ride), I plan to part with some cash $$... & join the Trol Club!

Thanks again 4 your help.
    If it blows any smoke at all then do not buy it.
    The Di & the CRD should never blow any smoke at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    Thanks for the overwhelming vote for the CRD.

Once they sort the wheels....(& I get a smooth ride), I plan to part with some cash $$... & join the Trol Club!

Thanks again 4 your help.
    Top stuff mate!!! You'll never look back ..

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI whats the difference between the zd30 crdi and the zd30 mecha type?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raneydelrey View Post
    HI whats the difference between the zd30 crdi and the zd30 mecha type?
    from another thread...thanks to ET

Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    CRD is "common rail" IE the fuel is delivered in a common rail connecting all 4 injectors and teh injectors are fully electronically controlled. It is still a direct injection tho IE fuel mist directly into the chamber. The posts in question are referring to the MY07 and later ZD30 CRD engines

Non CRD has a seperate fuel feed to each injector and the pump pressure controls the injection

Typically CRD's operate at significantly higher fuel pressures giving better atomisation and burn patterns etc etc. Their injectors also cost a small fortune or your first born

As a point of interest most of the "cheap chips" and some of the expensive ones (rip offs) are simply variable resistors that up the fuel pressures so you get more bang. The expensive legitimate chips will use multiple inputs to remap the injection signals from the ECU

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI Mozzie
    How much are your paying for yours as I paid 28K for 2008 dx with 70 000 kms

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wogboy View Post
    hi mozzie
    how much are your paying for yours as i paid 28k for 2008 dx with 70 000 kms
    ouch bet that hurt the account a bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast