Thread: doing a rebuild on a td42. need lots of advice please

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doing a rebuild on a td42. need lots of advice please

hey all how's it going.

as the title says I have to reco the old girl as getting a fair bit of blow back after a big haul across oz and back.

now yes I have read approximately 400000000000000000000 threads on this and now i'm dazed like a deer in the headlights. lol.

so my question is this is what I plan to do. please let me know what else I should be doing whilst the donk is out. keeping in mind that I have a budget of around 3k AT THE MOST

a turbo will also be installed whilst donk is out, AXT Turbo. yes I know I should have bought this one or that one. but it's what is going on.

3" exhaust will also be installed while the girl is in bits

what "I" am chasing is to run a low 9-12 psi, not 200hp, i'm not chasing the ponies. the car is to be a daily and a tourer with a thrash once a month in the mud/sand/rocks.

oh yeah its a silver top donk to

I plan to get a rebuild kit, can get one for 1400 (not ebay),happy to spend a bit more for a decent kit though if you know of which one to buy. replace the rear main seal, clutch is sweet still not touching it. injector pump needs some loving so should I just rebuild the one that I have or should I upgrade to a gu or a 11mm/12mm or just find a second hand one. keeping in mind I don't need a tremendous amount of fuel.

also who by in WA, heard a lot of good wraps about UFI over here but struggle to get a decent amount of customer service out of them (or any response but I will persevere due to the amount of feedback that I've heard, yes I know they are probably busy).

injectors are sweet as well as the head. I am thinking about replacing valve seals though just for peace of mind. what about balancing the crank to while its out. i'm thinking that this would be a great idea as less vibes are always a good thing.

what about these "turbo pistons" I've read so much about. is it worth it due to such a low boost and what about ceramic coating/Teflon liners to, is that worth it. I know that if I was chasing bulk power yeah. but for a low psi and chasing reliability not sure it's worth it.

oh yeah down to 115 psi on cylinder 3........ slow trip across the nullabour with a trailer......and bloody nervous too. was waiting for an expensive tow but I can't kill her, no matter how hard I try!

or do I just throw a set of rings in her and she'll be right, obviously this depends on the condition of the sleeves which is an unknown at the moment, and get another 100k (or so ish) out of it before I need to touch it again.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so I suppose that is my situation. could I pretty pretty please get some feedback before the coin starts to roll out.

yes i'll be doing the work myself to, apart from the acid wash, machining the new sleeves once installed if any warpage has occurred or there out of round and balancing the crank if it's still good. should be, dam thing has done 1.3 all up and 600k since last rebuild, but you never know until it's on the bench.

please be informative with your responses and why I should do this or that.

looking forward to your answers

love rod

p.s

keep the shiny side up, it's a lot easier that way but less fun!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 69darocket For This Useful Post:

Crockett (15th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have a lot to chew over..

First up pull the donk out.. I'm sure somewhere in the manuals there would be tolerances for such things like sleeve and piston wear. If there within spec then its up to you with how much you spend, full kit or just rings.

You say your down on compression but have you been able to isolate if its going up or down? (threw rings or past valve)
    Not sure how you can tell, ill ask my brother.

As for the turbo, should be fine running the psi you want, and same with the pump. Price a newer GU pump and compair with an overhaul price. You might find a good GU pump second hand cheaper than a GQ pump rebuild kit..
    If you do go the GU pump try and grab one with the compensater. This gives you optimum air to fuel ratio threw the rpm range..

Apart from that, valves.. Yea if the issue lays with them. Doesn't hurt to have the seats ground, but its just extra if not needed..

I'm sure I've missed something.. I'll let you know what my brother recommends checking in regards to the blow by..

Enjoy the build..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

69darocket (15th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I would buy the ebay rebuild kit if it wasn't from a reputable supplier.

Not sure how long you want to keep it, but you only want to do it once.....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

69darocket (15th August 2013), BigRAWesty (15th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went down this track only 8 months ago. I used my local HM GEM engine shop to get me the parts and do the cylinder liner fitting and machining. If you can find the thread that i wrote earlier this year. I wrote the prices etc that it cost me, i think parts and machining cost around $1600. I had to do all the removal and tear down etc. I'm now running 12 psi boost and a front mount. 126hp @ the wheels. Not massive horsepower but its a massive difference from the n/a it used to be. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, its still all fretty fresh in my mind. As for the pistons, i used ones that had ALFIN ring lands on them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to huey_gq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a quick chat to my bro and he's asked if the dipstick had popped out after running??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rod

if you want i can get you some prices on rebuild kits and other parts from the engine reconditioners i used to work at, they can get pretty good prices so might be able to save you some bucks. I see your in Port Kennedy mate if you ever need a spare pair of hands or to borrow some tools or anything let me know i live in Port Kennedy aswell and if im not away at work i would be happy to give you a hand.

Paul.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firm351 For This Useful Post:

69darocket (15th August 2013), Crockett (15th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Firstly THANKS HEAPS for the info so far.

To answer happygut, nope not buying the ebay kit, was a price from the local auto store and not sure on what brand of kit it is. Have read to stay away from the cheap chinese crap. can’t afford to this this again both money wise and time wise. Wife and three kids, building a house, work etc…….. but I did get a reply from sms diesel, $1100 plus freight. That’s pretty dam good as far as I’m concerned. it came with their turbo rings so i'm pretty happy with that. UFI was price TBC for the rebuild, yeah knew they were busy. Lol. It’s what happens when you have a reputable company. Definitely go with them for the tune though, just not sure on their pump prices, dang. hmmmmmmmmmm

As for westy’s, havn’t been able to isolate wether its on the up or down. Not sure how I could do that but I’ll chase down some forum threads today and get on to it. I’ll start looking around for prices for a gu pump. From what I’ve read I’m chasing one from a series I or II gu and I’ll keep my eyes peeled on gumtree, ebay and the forums for secondhand ones. You never know. And yes popped the dipstick. Had a mini freak out when I lifted to hood and saw it hanging out, considering I was in port augusta with another 2000 odd km to go……….puffing like a steam train. And yes I’m still driving it as can’t afford a rental car to still get around for two more weeks, yes I’m the one in the slow lane and cruising off at the lights. Lol. Can’t believe it’s still going. good news is it's not seized or over heating. just dreading a bang

Huey_gq, I’ve read so many threads and I’ll be back onto yours today !!!! cheers dude. I remember this thread and I have based my rebuild price of what you supplied to the forum, thanks heaps and you didn't even know it!!

Firm351. I’ll be in touch. Even if you come over for drinks and yell abuse at me for not going fast enough!!!!!!!!! Lol. As for parts, you could be a life saver and thanks heaps for the offer. I’ll be in touch when I start buying parts for this build in a week, and thanks again for the offer to, great to know there are still people out there willing to chip in for fellow enthusiasts.

i'm sure there's more that I've forgotten. thanks all again for the help.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 69darocket For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (16th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries mate. Were here to help.
    Ill let my bro know in the morning and get a reply to you.
    You've had a compression test dine but he also mentioned a cylinder leak test?? I'll enquire if your as lost as I am with this one..
    He has also mentioned oil mist blowing out the rocket cover cap while running??
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    He has also mentioned oil mist blowing out the rocket cover cap while running??
    I'm also keen to know what this means, my old ute had this, though it was very slight, but would have been a sign of something, it was getting towards 400k. The bloke that took it off me was going to strip it anyway he said.
    Hunter Gatherer (my wife says hoarder)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.3 million is a lot on any engine I would be checking the tunnels for warping