Thread: 6.5 Chev Diesel owners.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile 6.5 Chev Diesel owners.

Hey how's it going,

I'm after some feedback on your 6.5 Chev diesel, I've not long run in my reco'd 6.5 Brunswick and now contemplating heading down the road of installing either a Turbo or Supercharger.
    Has anyone got any feedback on the benefits of having either option, are there any issues associated with these installs??

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, I have moved your thread out og the general chat section and put it under engine conversions which can be found here

Under Mechanical, Engine and Drivetrain, Engine Conversions

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one myself but from what I understand the turbo gives you more power but generates more heat and the 6.5 is prone to over heating. I would be going supercharged with this motor Bullit diesels do a comparison I think. With a charger you get power and torque instantly which is better to tow with and crawl those tough tracks just my 2 cents worth anyway
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoZZpx...%3D-hoZZpxYfXE
    The white one is supercharged
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

yeah_m8 (12th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey cheers for that, didn't realise that section was there, got a few more questions to ask too>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the link, I saw that link after browsing through Youtube and the net on who else do installs of the 6.5's, and found Bullit Diesels, I spoke to some dude that will put me onto these guys tomorrow.
    As you have mentioned about the heat issues with Turbo's, SC may be the option, all I want is hassle free motoring when I start my journey coastal all the way round Oz, thanks for your 2cents mate

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is the intercooled turbo version and although it is still fairly new, I have done a few trips on both highway and long periods in low range and have not experienced any overheating of any sort. Not sure about others experience with that. I tow a largish boat with mine and it was built for this sort of work.

Haven't had a chance to try the Supercharged version but would love to have a go of one.

One comment, you have to be careful sometimes when in the rough if you down change gears from 2nd to 1st quickly and give it a boot-full as you will either spin your wheels and loose control of your traction, or if you haven't fully let out your clutch you will smell what you have just done to it. I'd like to try an Auto with this engine and am waiting for Highlander to get his done for some feedback.

Either option is going to give you a big smile compared to a non-turbo'd version...the Supercharger might be a bigger smile if you can afford it though.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (20th August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Ben, I too tow a boat and camper trailer and have an engine watchdog fitted, although the temp shown may not be truly accurate, it remains between 55 and 61 degrees no matter what driving I am doing. My pyro has only been up to about 280 and that includes going up hills (in 5th gear I might add). From my research the overheating problem was on older engines and I am preety sure this has all been sorted.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian2011 View Post
    Like Ben, I too tow a boat and camper trailer and have an engine watchdog fitted, although the temp shown may not be truly accurate, it remains between 55 and 61 degrees no matter what driving I am doing. My pyro has only been up to about 280 and that includes going up hills (in 5th gear I might add). From my research the overheating problem was on older engines and I am preety sure this has all been sorted.
    G'day M8,

I too have the inter cooled turbo. I looked at the supercharger thru bullit diesel who quoted me $12k as the heads need to be changed to high compression heads to handle the obvious.

I asked my mate ( who's a heavy diesel fitter) about the differences between the turbo and SC and his explanation thus:

Turbo- good power increase as the revs increase, better fuel economy than SC.
    SC- instant power from hitting the go pedal, decreased economy.

I am a fan of the SC but for the price, am getting an auto gearbox.

I haven't had any overheating problems either and have towed a camper trailer plus played in the sand dunes and beach that are near me. Never missed a beat and never showed any hint of going up near a worrying temp.

Regards, Tim
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, pretty much what FNQGU and Ben have stated as well regarding the newer engines.

Mine does have a slight quirk I have noticed, and I only have 23000 on this engine.

I use the glows to pre warm for start , start up when plugs go out, allow to self warm up until the gauge starts deflecting and then away we we go. I use gear upshifts at 1500 until temp reaches the half way indicator, and that takes about 5 mins driving, and by then I am cruising along at 60 Kms in 5th sitting on about 900 rpm. Now Almost every time at the ten minutes of driving mark, I see the needle go the 2/3 to 3/4 full scale hot temp position and then it suddenly drops back to half way again and will remain there all day from then in.

I am thinking this may be a sticky thermostat...but anyone else experienced this with the 6.5 inter-cooled turbo?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Truckus Mate!
    Sounds very much like whatever thermostats you have in there are just simply opening to full flow and dropping your needle on first run then stabilising after that.
    If you check in the military manual you’ve just downloaded their operating temperature is 88C so once I read this a few years back personally installed a set of 88C AcDelco TS’s which are the yanky GM company standard.
    Definitely worth fitting an extra aftermarket water temp gauge mate as our GU dash gauges have a deliberate dead spot from approximately 70C < > 105C as I’ve found on quite a few owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (12th February 2021), Truckus (12th February 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast