OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grumpydfart's bush ute build - palya!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,049 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All looking good, have a good trip, how long are you there for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your drawers. lol.

Can you please tell me the measurements, type and costs of materials? Pm or brove sharing would be appreciated.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Usually Strathalbyn, SA, but could be anywhere in remote Australia.
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    All looking good, have a good trip, how long are you there for?
    At Warakurna Roadhouse for two weeks, then Alice on the 14th for some more chemo. By then they may have found more work for me? If not back to Strath.
    2004 GU Ute 4.2 turbo intercooled leaf rear with a pod. A project!

Member of the Podder's Community... DX Grunt, Cuppa, GUTsy, TwinDiffs, Macca, Nowoolies work truck, GU Camper, TonyHoughton, GrumpyOldFart

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    I love your drawers. lol.

Can you please tell me the measurements, type and costs of materials? Pm or brove sharing would be appreciated.

Rossco
    Rossco, do you mean the drawers under the pod?

If so
    The LH one is 2070mm x 450mm x 115mm
    The RH one is 1570mm x 450mm x 115mm

I was going for 12mm ply but seems there was supplier problems so went to 15mm
    Bottoms are 2070 x 450 and 1570 x 450
    I used structa floor yellow tongue for the runner it's nylon and slides easily
    You are limited to about 120mm high in the box so I cut the sides to 100mm x 2070mm and 1570mm then the cross pieces to fit 100mm x 420mm. All glued and screwed, predrill all holes and countersink.

I put some wood blocks on the outsides that just cleared the edge of the opening.
    On the inside I measured the gap and cut wood blocks to fit.
    Whatever you cutoff the blocks double it and they go on the drawers as guides and stoppers.
    I pulled the drawers out till the back was resting on the last alloy crossbar the screwed the blocks on through the drawer sides. You can use a piece of fencing wire to hold the outside block in place, put the drawer in position then screw. Cos you won't get a hand in there. Inside ones are easier!
    The two handle looking bits are to hold the locking rod in place, I don't trust the alloy angle to hold 50 or so kg in! Just cut the bar a couple of mm under the width of the box, not the opening.

Forgot cost.....
    Sheet of 15mm ply $40ish
    If you don't have a circular saw Bunnings or the like will cut for you, about $1 per cut.
    Stainless screws I had but about $30 for a couple of hundred
    Waterproof Aquadhere $? Haven't bought in years.
    Bar for back I had but maybe $10

Dru
    Last edited by GrumpyOldFart; 22nd September 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Member of the Podder's Community... DX Grunt, Cuppa, GUTsy, TwinDiffs, Macca, Nowoolies work truck, GU Camper, TonyHoughton, GrumpyOldFart

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps.

Yep, the drawers under the pod.

I can't quite see the bottom lock, but does it have the bar that attaches to the lock and goes across from one side to the other? Mine does, so I'm guessing I might have to make my drawers a bit smaller.

Rossco

Edit: FENCING WIRE!!!! Are you a cockie? lol
    Last edited by DX grunt; 22nd September 2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rossco, bear in mind that GOF's drawer spaces may be slightly different dimensions to yours, his being an Obeico Pod, & yours being a Rosscos.
    Consider also the plastic boxes & rope solution - saves a fair bit of weight.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (22nd September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Rossco, bear in mind that GOF's drawer spaces may be slightly different dimensions to yours, his being an Obeico Pod, & yours being a Rosscos.
    Consider also the plastic boxes & rope solution - saves a fair bit of weight.
    Plastic boxes were my first thought....until I gave up looking for something 450mm x 120mm.
    As Cuppa said, and I didn't realise, you have a different make of pod. Might change things.

Dru

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (23rd September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldFart View Post
    Plastic boxes were my first thought....until I gave up looking for something 450mm x 120mm.
    As Cuppa said, and I didn't realise, you have a different make of pod. Might change things.

Dru
    I didn't realize they were different, either. Oh well, food for thought to get me started. Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it to Glendambo for tonight. Fantastic food!
    Nothing fell off yet, nipped all the wheel nuts up and got at least a flat out of all!
    Air on gave up! Seems my local regassed it with some new shit hn10 or something. Not suitable molecules are too small. Only takes 1/3 of the normal amount of gas so when a little leaks out it's all over. Evaced and regassed with R134A in Port Agutter now too bloody cold.
    Need cruise control, it pulls well and sits on 2500rpm at 110kmh with no dramas, just hard to keep my foot backed off!! Saw 145 passing a road train but I won't admit to it. Too used to driving my non turbo1HZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in my Cruiser!?!?
    Anyhow,having fun and will be at rip off rock tomorrow

Dru
    Last edited by GrumpyOldFart; 24th September 2013 at 09:25 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

Stropp (7th October 2013), TPC (24th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on our travels.

Shot of the LED lights at night.
    I can see perfectly to pour 2 bourbon and cokes!

On the way to Glen Cummings Gorge.
    Only 11km but 45 minutes crawl

The gorge just to the left of Glen Cummings.
    Easier to get to but a bit smaller

A Nissan Patrol ute and pod in its element!
    A view facing away from the ranges.

Leaving the first gorge.

Driving into Glen Cummings Gorge

View out of Glen Cummings Gorge

Got good articulation out of the parabolic leaves in the rear, also a smooth ride.
    Only thing that has fallen off is my long handled shovel...somewhere on the Great Central Road after Docker River. Might find it on the way out?

Dru
    Last edited by GrumpyOldFart; 7th October 2013 at 02:52 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

93patrol (11th October 2013), GUtsy ute (7th October 2013), Stropp (7th October 2013)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast