OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grumpydfart's bush ute build - palya!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey GrumpyOldFart that country side looks awesome, I bet the rock is hard on the tyres. What sort of rubber will you run on it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Usually Strathalbyn, SA, but could be anywhere in remote Australia.
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will probably rum Bridgestone Dueller A/Ts only cos I do a lot of bitumen to get here. Most long term vehicles up here seem to get 20,000km out of tyres! The clinic troopies run Cooper ST Maxx with no problems. The Police are trying Mickey T's and hate them, they prefer Goodyear Wranglers but still only cet about 10,000km out of them. The Police have problems with OWHS in that they must run manufacturers pressures and they do high speeds on shit roads.
    I run my Duellers at 40 front and 50 rear and keep my speed under 100, usually 80. Higher speeds seem to leave the rock standing up from the front tyre running over it ready for the rear to get cut up by it! Hence the Police getting 10,000 km out of tyres.
    Going off road there is no substitute for careful driving and tyre placement. Any tyre will get staked or slashed! I killed a near new tyre on a sharp rock hidden in a sand dune.
    So pick what suits majority of your driving and drive to the conditions.

Dru
    2004 GU Ute 4.2 turbo intercooled leaf rear with a pod. A project!

Member of the Podder's Community... DX Grunt, Cuppa, GUTsy, TwinDiffs, Macca, Nowoolies work truck, GU Camper, TonyHoughton, GrumpyOldFart

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Left Warakurna Roadhouse today. Had a good trip out until just after Docker River! Must have found a sharp rock or something in the soft sand. Next thing I know is ute all over the road and blown tyre flapping noise!
    Bugger....took it slow, only 1/2 hour to change, but think it is a bit beyond a puncture repair!!!

A couple of plugs might fix it?

Yours truly changing tyre!
    Bit of damage to the mudguards. Have to get the hammer out when I get home.

Dru

Member of the Podder's Community... DX Grunt, Cuppa, GUTsy, TwinDiffs, Macca, Nowoolies work truck, GU Camper, TonyHoughton, GrumpyOldFart

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (14th October 2013), daypatrol (16th October 2013), Stropp (14th October 2013), Woof (11th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was in the N.T. And as you would, had to see how the troll & pod handle 130 kmh!
    I can report that we survived launch and re entry and had no dramas cruising at 130!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

93patrol (2nd December 2013), daypatrol (18th October 2013), Stropp (18th October 2013), Woof (11th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weeeeell
    Got home yesterday arvo after a three day drive and head office rings......
    "Where are you?"
    I say "Home why?"
    They "how soon can you get back to Warakurna Roadhouse?"
    Me "I can leave tomorrow but have to get a set of new tyres fitted first."

So 1 night sleep in my own bed and back on the road again.
    Only got 4 new tyres, it is near impossible to find any tyre dealer with a set of 6 tyres in stock.
    Am trying out the Bridgestone Dueller 697's in 265/75R16.

Dru

Thanks
    Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldFart View Post
    Am trying out the Bridgestone Dueller 697's in 265/75R16.
    I will be very interested in your assessment of those tyres Dru. They are what I have & my eventual intent is to use them similarly to you, but you will click up the miles on yours long before I do on mine.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wuckers Cuppa, will keep you posted.
    At the moment we are spending the night at Marla.
    Should make it to the Road House tomorrow.
    Started with the tyres set by Bridgestone at 38F & 40R
    Felt like I had to push it all the time...went to 40F & 46R and it drives lots better.

Think I have a cooling problem. In today's heat (high 40's) and a crosswind I fought to stand up in, we started climbing the temp gauge if I pushed over 100kmh. The needle only went from its usual spot just on the left edge of the waves to just on the right edge of the waves.
    Think I might have to pull the radiator and clean it. Also recon a diesel tune up is in order as I might be over fueling a bit under load. I think that will do the same.

Dru

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, tyres
    Had a good trip in on the Great Central Road, most was 90 to 100kmh.
    Some bloody rough bits on the NT side around Docker River.

The Bridgestone Dueller AT's handled OK.
    They are not as stable as MT's on loose dirt. Tend to want to find their own tracks, so it all feels a bit loose.
    If you do turn though the square edged tread seems to dig in.
    They are no worse than any other AT tyre I have driven high speed on dirt. Although I seem to remember a set of Toyos that train tracked dangerously, so bad in fact that The tyre dealer refunded and supplied other tyres. My other test of tyres is to go off the bitumen edge gently at speed, good tyres will hardly notice the transition from bitumen edge to dirt and back. Great tyres will let you hang on the edge with ease, the AT Duellers do this with ease. With the Toyos I had you could have easily lost control.
    MT tyres bite through the soft dirt better and give you a more stable ride.
    I can handle the loose feeling without a drama and prefer the better ride on bitumen of the AT's.
    Not to mention the longer life! Goodyear MTR's I have would be lucky to see 30,000km.

Hope the above helps

Dru

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (21st October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just got the news today.
    They have appointed managers for the roadhouse.
    So were outa here on the 30 Nov.

Maybe back home or..........

Dru

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK all, fuel economy.........

Over 15,385km traveled I have averaged 17.35l/100km.
    Best I got was about 15l/100km being a granny cruising at or under 100kmh on a day with no headwind
    Worst was about 21l/100km pushing 110kmh plus and a bloody strong headwind (had to piss downwind that day!)

Pod is lightly loaded and some 5000km plus of Sandy dirt roads in 4wd high thrown in. Also Melbourne to Adelaide then to Brisbane and back to Adelaide towing a Jayco Swan Outback (1700kg) sitting on 100kmh. The Jayco didn't seem to make any difference to the fuel economy nor did the change from 235/85R16's to 265/75R16's. Just did a quick 1600km round trip to Alice and back for another dose of chemo. Better than Adelaide!

Will try to find a decent diesel tuner and see if that makes any difference.

Finishing here at Warakurna Roadhouse on the 30th November after we have trained the new managers. Then off to find a caravan (unless head office have other plans for us!). Looking for a Windsor Rapid, like the 2 bed idea. Was great in the Jayco but too hard for me to set up. And you had to set it up to get inside. At least with the Windsor a roadside lunch, brunch or snack stop is easy...just open the door and step in! We are trying to find one that is somewhere we haven't been!?!

Remember..
    You don't stop laughing because you get older,
    You get older because you stop laughing!

Dru

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyOldFart For This Useful Post:

mudnut (24th November 2013), Woof (11th November 2013)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast