Thread: Wiring question

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring question

Hi Guys sorry if this is to opened of a question but i thought i might as well ask.

I am removing my aftermarket alarm soon but while looking at it i noticed a wire that has been put in, as far as i can tell it is not part of the alarm but could be.

The wire comes out of my fuse box (front drivers side) just stuck in place under the fuse and down to the electric box thing/harness behind the kick panel on the driver side foot. The wire it goes to is white with grey lines.
    it's spliced to the wire.
    The fuse is rr rear blower

My question is - what would require someone to splice any wire to a fuse like that?
    Is it to give it power? or what? or to bypass the fuse?

I can tell its a piss poor job as it's insulation taped badly and not soldered - looks like a home job, a professional could never leave it like that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yendor is your man mate. Can you post a pic?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Daz........lol.

I'm not sure what's mounted behind the driver side kick panel in a ZD30, can you post a photo.

Does your oil light in the dash work correctly? if you disconnect this wire does it still work correctly?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Yendor just got her back today here is a pic - the orange wire is the wire in question.

The image is on its side - needs to flip 90deg clockwise
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty dodgy.

I presume that they have used this to supply power.

Pull the fuse out, and the wire will then fall out. Measure the wire to earth to see if it has power (12 V ) or has none.

Check the terminal on the same side of the fuse where the wire comes from to see if it has no power, or if they had basically stuck it in unfused.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mic - I have tried to do what you have suggested as far as i can tell the wire only has power when the fuse is plugged in. When i tested the terminal it was pushed into (left) without the fuse it had no power and therefore the orange wire had no power.

What do you think they are trying to achieve by doing this - providing power to something i ussume.. just realised there is power point in the back of the car - this might be what it's for? I will test.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Strange to grab power from there to run to the back of the Patrol,
    But some ppl do weird stuff.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow!! Is there allot of accessories on the car? If not then to be honest I'd be removing that wire and anything that fails rewire into a designated slot.

Pretty dodgy! At least that got on the right side of the fuse! Never seen anyone stick a wire in there before!!!

YENDORRRRRR!!!! Check tis out mate!!! WTF!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have done that to either bypass an electrical fault they weren't able to find or to possibly power an accessory.

I would disconnect the wire and see what/if anything doesn't work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregsway View Post
    Thanks Mic - I have tried to do what you have suggested as far as i can tell the wire only has power when the fuse is plugged in. When i tested the terminal it was pushed into (left) without the fuse it had no power and therefore the orange wire had no power.

What do you think they are trying to achieve by doing this - providing power to something i ussume.. just realised there is power point in the back of the car - this might be what it's for? I will test.

Looks like they have done this to grab a power supply, as it isn't easy to find a power source under the dash....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast