Thread: LED Light Bars ARE Legal in QLD

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LED Light Bars ARE Legal in QLD

Well i posted this in another thread but believe it should not get lost on the 3rd page of another thread. This is very important to all of us!

The Laws in QLD have changed and it is likely to be rolled out Nationally on that basis.

Here is the UPDATE

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/Sa...elinemay13.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by QLD MAIN ROADS
    Vehicle standards instruction (general 15.0)
    Fitment and use of driving lamps including light emitting diode (LED) light bars on vehicles Released May 2013

The Department of Transport and Main Roads has recently dealt with a number of issues relating to the use of LED light bars, fitted to the front bumper bar or bull bar on some vehicles, as driving lamps. The main issue faced by vehicle operators is that when a light bar is used as a driving lamp on a vehicle manufactured from 1991, Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13/00 requires that either two or four lamps are fitted.

Transport and Main Roads is of the opinion that this ADR requirement was set before the introduction of LED type lamps and the requirement does not reflect this new technology.

To ensure national consistency, Transport and Main Roads raised this issue with the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board, who have endorsed a change to the ADR to allow an odd number of driving lamps to be fitted to vehicles. Until this update to the ADR is made, Transport and Main Roads has provided this Vehicle Standards Instruction for ADR vehicles and vehicles manufactured prior to 1991.

Requirements for the fitting fitment and use of driving lamps including Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light Bars on Vehicles, excluding motor bikes and motor trikes.

• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.

• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.

• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.

• The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.

Note: This exemption from complying with a part of ADR13/00 only applies in Queensland and may not be recognised in other states or territories. Vehicle operators who travel between states and territories must ensure that lamps fitted to their vehicles comply with the requirements in each state or territory.

This Vehicle Standards Instruction (VSI) was originally issued as H25.0, but is now being re-issued as a General category VSI. VSI H25.0 is now repealed.

Further Information

For further information about the vehicle standards, please contact Vehicle Standards and Modification Advice on (07) 3114 5844 Monday to Friday, 10:00 am–4:30 pm.
    Related Documents Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...OpRUVSSR10.pdf

Australian Design Rule 13/00 Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L- Group Vehicles

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005L03991
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Clunk (6th August 2013), DX grunt (6th August 2013), megatexture (6th August 2013), MEGOMONSTER (6th August 2013), mudnut (6th August 2013), mudski (6th August 2013), threedogs (6th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much for national rules and regs hay.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the way that legislation works. One state recognizes the problem and sets about rectifying it, the others look on and when it's seen to work will usually adopt it, ad in some cases will adopt the wording of the legislation as written. It all comes down to cost.
    Sent from my GT-N5110 using Motorculture mobile app

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So You are allowed to fit them ,????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th August 2013 at 07:45 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    It is unclear if they are aloud on the roof though . Interesting, they did not deal with that question there
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Don't think so mate, same as you cant put spot lights up there ,i think it will breach the 1200mm max light height

You could use a black cover for road use and get away with it
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Don't think so mate, same as you cant put spot lights up there ,i think it will breach the 1200mm max light height

You could use a black cover for road use and get away with it
    Would we be able to get away with a cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A copper flashed me so not knowing it was a cop I flashed back with my 3x 22" 5w dual row bars and 100w 240 light force and that's when I saw the signage and hi vis jackets they were wearing.. Then sirens and lights lol.
    Apparently they were flashing my mate behind me who was having alternator issues and driving with his lights off, they just had a laugh and told him to turn on his lights.

I think it comes down to what mood the cops are in,how lazy they are by not wanting the paper work or they don't know the rules and regs. but I think 040FF is right the roof rack ones arent allowed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm? It's interesting actually, I read this on another forum and a very valid point was made.

Dot point 1 says - "the Lamps SHOULD, as far as possible"

Dot point 2 says - "they MUST be fitted to the front"

In the Law "Should" and "Must" have completely different connotations and definitions.

"Should" = where possible or if possible and every effort.

"Must" = this is Not Negotiable

This is very interesting. I think the jury is out on a Light Bar on the roof? Well Any lights on the roof for that matter! I think the expectation long term has been that Roof Lights are for Off Road Use only. We have said put covers on them for years. Maybe there is a market for a clip on 42" light bar cover

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hmmmm? It's interesting actually, I read this on another forum and a very valid point was made.

Dot point 1 says - "the Lamps SHOULD, as far as possible"

Dot point 2 says - "they MUST be fitted to the front"

In the Law "Should" and "Must" have completely different connotations and definitions.

"Should" = where possible or if possible and every effort.

"Must" = this is Not Negotiable

This is very interesting. I think the jury is out on a Light Bar on the roof? Well Any lights on the roof for that matter! I think the expectation long term has been that Roof Lights are for Off Road Use only. We have said put covers on them for years. Maybe there is a market for a clip on 42" light bar cover
    My brother has 4 small light bars on his roof rack (front and back) along with rear LED tail lights on the rear of roof rack too. I can't wait to tell him the good news coming our way soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast