Thread: Flooded Patrol GQ Turbo Diesel

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flooded Patrol GQ Turbo Diesel

Hey mates, I'm seeking advice to fix my Patrol GQ 2.8 Turbo Diesel after having tried it as a submarine in a deep puddle. My bad, it's my first 4WD and I went out with some experienced mates who didn't try to stop me from trying that one (I don't have a snorkel on the car - didn't even know I needed one).

The mech removed the water from the engine, changed all the oils, two filters, charged the battery and let the car dry up for a couple of days...then he managed to start the engine. He also told me that the engine would have some difficulties at the first start of the day for a long time, but it should be fine as soon as the water fully dries up.

For a couple of days the engine actually struggled starting up, with white smoke coming out the exhaust, but then the troll used to run smoothly.
    ...Until today. Today I cannot start it, no matter how many times I try. White smoke is still coming out of the exhaust and nothing else happens.

I searched the forum for some similar experience and this is what I found
    FLOODED DIESEL ENGINE
    but I still don't know how could it help me (total rookie).

Mh, another thing: I'm also experiencing some electrical faults, like some indicators on the dash not working. Better to have a full check at an auto electrician or it might be just a matter of changing/coating with WD40 some fuses?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H mate, the white smoke tells me that the glo plugs are not working, probably due to water in the electricals.
    Might be a good idea to tell us exactly what went on as far as drowning goes, did the ECU get wet, did you try and start it with a guts full of water, you may have bent conrods and this can cause low compression and white smoke also.
    Cheers, the ferret..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Water and diesel never have a happy ending, Anyway you can dry car with a heater in a confined space
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    H mate, the white smoke tells me that the glo plugs are not working, probably due to water in the electricals.
    Might be a good idea to tell us exactly what went on as far as drowning goes, did the ECU get wet, did you try and start it with a guts full of water, you may have bent conrods and this can cause low compression and white smoke also.
    Cheers, the ferret..
    The car is a '96 model, doesn't have any electronics on it. After it drowned i didn't try to start it anymore, just I've been towed out of the pond and from there to the mechanic, who checked the car the very next day (the fact happened last Sunday).

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Water and diesel never have a happy ending, Anyway you can dry car with a heater in a confined space
    Yeah I also thought that, the problem is finding a confined space...unless I find a way to stick the troll in the bedroom.

A mate is suggesting that the alternator might be full of mud, and this would prevent the battery from charging...hence the impossibility to turn it on. What do you reckon?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokignolo View Post
    Yeah I also thought that, the problem is finding a confined space...unless I find a way to stick the troll in the bedroom.

A mate is suggesting that the alternator might be full of mud, and this would prevent the battery from charging...hence the impossibility to turn it on. What do you reckon?
    If it had a flat battery the engine wouldn't turn over on the starter motor.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you insured? If so call your insurance company, tell them you were crossing a ford in a river and they will write your car off and give you a cheque.

Sorry not what you want to hear but the best advice I can give you.

If your insured I'd be making a claim in a heart beat.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Cheers, the ferret..
    I agree with the above and would be checking for power to the glow plugs, water in the glow plug timer module is a definate possibillity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .......and get yourself some new mates who don't let you do something like that again! LOL

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

YNOT (4th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let it sit for a while with the bonnet open, and spray all the electrical connectors with CRC or the like to disperse the water, and see how it goes then.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast