Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loads of Issues

Hi

I have a Nissan Patrol 1997 GQ TB42E on dual fuel / LPG.

Here is my list of issues
    1. dle is shocking. When stopped at lights I have to choke otherwise it conks.
    2. Air box filter is broken therefore car runs really bad if water gets up there and also keeps backfiring.
    3. Hard to start have to crank like for a minute for it to start usually have to switch back to fuel. Can often smell gas when starting.
    4. Radio wont switch on any more Im assuming I will just have to replace.

I am unsure of what part number to search for the air box as I believe that this has caused damage. Also I think the spark plugs might need replacing - please correct me if I am wrong. Just take forever to start or do you think it is the leads?

My husband is not help and I am really limited with time and money but I know that I have to fix the car ASAP as it has become unreliable.

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi lostgirl, post up an intro in the intro thread when you get a chance, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will answer your questions shortly.

cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thes have an air flow meter, so if air box is broken then air flow meter would be out. But I'm not up to speed with these. one of the geniuses will be able to answer you soon.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday lostgirl

To put it diplomatically, we love new members to put up an introduction in the intro section, to tell us all a bit about themselves and where they're from, rather than just go straight into your issues and concerns.

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah,, you got me, I usually check post count and don't answer tech questions until I see an intro from new members. You had 2 posts and I assumed it was Intro. Please go to introduction and tell us about yourself and more about your truck and where you are from

Tim

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (5th January 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you have now done so.

Sorry I skiped a step. Have just been searching the internet for some answers.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Idle is shocking. When stopped at lights I have to choke otherwise it conks. This could be either fuel or ignition related. Does it do the same thing running on LPG and petrol? If it's the same on both fuels then it is most likely caused by ignition.

2. Air box filter is broken therefore car runs really bad if water gets up there and also keeps backfiring. A broken airbox is unlikely to cause it to run rough and backfire in wet weather, that sounds more like water getting into the ignition, specifically the distributor cap.

3. Hard to start have to crank like for a minute for it to start usually have to switch back to fuel. Can often smell gas when starting. Does it start OK on petrol? I suspect the gas system may need retuning and possibly also need LPG converter or mixer (depending on type of LPG components fitted) rebuild.
    4. Radio wont switch on any more Im assuming I will just have to replace. You may be able to get the original radio repaired, but why bother, cheaper and easier to just buy and install a new radio/CD.

I am unsure of what part number to search for the air box as I believe that this has caused damage. I doubt the airbox has caused damage, more likely the airbox was damaged by the back firing caused by faulty ignition or poor LPG tuning.

Also I think the spark plugs might need replacing - please correct me if I am wrong. Just take forever to start or do you think it is the leads? I realize you say you have limited money but I think you're going to have to throw a bit of money at the car to fix these faults. I would start with a new rotar button, distributor cap, plug leads and spark plugs. Get the ignition timing checked also. That should take care of the ignition so you only have to get the fuel systems right.

One trouble with dual fuel cars that run most of the time on LPG is that the petrol system deteriorates from lack of use. The petrol goes stale in the tank, fuel pumps gum up and seize up, injectors get a carbon build up on the tips etc etc.

Tony

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

lostgirl (5th January 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony. You have confirmed some of the stuff I have just been reading. I will totally be contacting a mechanic tomorrow and getting a quote. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go into mechanic sounding like you know what's wrong. I don't mean to sound sexist, but don't go sounding like a niave damsil in distress. Male mechanics actually like hearing from a woman who understands her car.

Tim

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

lostgirl (6th January 2011)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I dont do the damsil.lol I actually have shocked a few of them by saying I have researched it. I also like for them to prove to me what part needs fixing. I have never been burnt yet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast