Thread: HID's in my ol' IPF800's

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Mark, just be aware that even with my 35W lights I get MASSIVE reflection from road signs.
    Having experienced that, I would be reluctant to go as high as 100 or 75W. I wouldn't install anything more than 55W max if it were me doing it. I feel it would create more problems than it solves.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....
    Agree entirely- a bloody lot of annoying reflection from any road sign from my 35 watt conversion in standard IPF's that Nissan install.. Thinking of adding additional set of halogen lights for normal road use and keep HID's for off road/beach use only.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    True, but he also mentioned he has just ordered new headlights which will have HID's fitted to them.
    With projectors fitted to mate I forgot to add. So they are legal and will work as they should....
    I think I might just go the 75W and see how they work...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    With projectors fitted to mate I forgot to add. So they are legal and will work as they should....
    I think I might just go the 75W and see how they work...
    Last I knew it was illegal to retro fit HID headlights to a vehicle that did not come from the factory with them fitted. For HID headlights to be legal they need to be factory fitted, self levelling and have headlight washers.
    As long as they don't blind other road users I have no problem with them, factory fitted or otherwise.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Last I knew it was illegal to retro fit HID headlights to a vehicle that did not come from the factory with them fitted. For HID headlights to be legal they need to be factory fitted, self levelling and have headlight washers.
    As long as they don't blind other road users I have no problem with them, factory fitted or otherwise.
    The lights I'm getting will have the projectors fitted and leveled by the guy who's doing them. I don't know much about the process of doing it but he said he has made up a jig especially for the GU Patrols to get the level right. He also sells them in kit form to do yourself but he said its next to impossible to get the levels right without this jig he's made. I have spoken to plenty who have these exact lights fitted and they all said they are perfect and don't just shine light everywhere like a standard light with a HID fitted would.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

YNOT (1st August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,429 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are not legal but they should be. If you ever got pulled up I'm sure you could show the cop the projectors and he's be happy with it. Exactly the same as the HIDs that come in new cars.

Motorculture... Let's try this again!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyhow I have decided on 75w HID's for my 800's with internal ballasts. Will be interesting to see how they go as even though now I have 130w h3 globes in them, they become redundant once I turn on the light bar. There is obviously better spotties out on the market now but the old IPF's look old so no one will want to pinch them.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Anyhow I have decided on 75w HID's for my 800's with internal ballasts. Will be interesting to see how they go as even though now I have 130w h3 globes in them, they become redundant once I turn on the light bar. There is obviously better spotties out on the market now but the old IPF's look old so no one will want to pinch them.

Did you go 6000k or 4500k? I will be going 4500k
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    5000k to match my headlights mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The colour is what you need to be aware of,,,, 4500 to-5000 k is heaps, I had 20,000k in at one time and anyone in front just stopped and pulled over.
    plus you don't want that blue look which begins around 6000k . I only have 5000k now but 100watt ac
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem with the 6000k is they are to white which is what is reflecting off the signs but properly adjusted they are not to bad. with the globes just do yourself a favour and go the 4500k. and as far hid headlights go they are all crap even factory ones when they go over hills or speed humps they zap you in the eyes get rid of them all I say.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast