The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HID's in my ol' IPF800's

Now I have seen many sites selling HID kits to suit the 800's as they need a different globe to fit. I was going to get the 100W kit with external ballasts but having just ordered some new headlights which will have HID's fitted in them also I don't know how much room I'll have for four ballast in the engine bay.
    So would the 75W versions that have internal ballasts be o.k? Or where would be the best place to mount four ballast? Behind the grill but they will cop a bit of chit being there I reckon.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Ballasts are fully sealed and you can mount them anywhere.

Looking at converting some IPFs too. I have stripped mine and they have the right angle globe. My research is telling me that you can fit a slim ballast and normal globe inside but it's tight. You can get the right angle globes but they are double the price.....

If you do it post up mate, I have not made the decision yet. I have the light in the shed. Going to g 100w hid.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The Ballasts are fully sealed and you can mount them anywhere.

Looking at converting some IPFs too. I have stripped mine and they have the right angle globe. My research is telling me that you can fit a slim ballast and normal globe inside but it's tight. You can get the right angle globes but they are double the price.....

If you do it post up mate, I have not made the decision yet. I have the light in the shed. Going to g 100w hid.
    From my findings the ballast to suit the 100watters is too big. The ballast for the 75's will just fit. There's kits on Fleabay for around $150 for 100W and the shorter globes for the 800's. I'm just trying to work out in my head where to mount four ballast if I go the 100's...Make up a plate and mount them all together, or two left and two on the right behind the grill??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I converted a cheap pair of IPF900's i bought on ebay to HID.
    Don't know what the GU is like but on my GQ I screwed the ballasts to the radiator support panel just behind the grille. Easy as you like.
    Mine were only 35W units but are bloody good especially in combination with the IPF reflector and lens which are excellent.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

mudski (31st July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all I could say on this is the hid spotties are great but I recommend the colour either 4300 or 5000k I have 6000 k in mine and I feel they are to white so ill be changing down to 4300k.
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    75 watt are available in slimline.
    My DL are 100watt HID AC.
    My headlights are 75 watt HID, 5000K,
    as kevin suggests any thing higher is too blue
    H4, H1 what are those right angle jobs called
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st August 2013 at 08:28 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, just be aware that even with my 35W lights I get MASSIVE reflection from road signs.
    Having experienced that, I would be reluctant to go as high as 100 or 75W. I wouldn't install anything more than 55W max if it were me doing it. I feel it would create more problems than it solves.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please be considerate of other drivers and aim your headlights down after fitting HID. I do a lot of night driving and I'm tired of being blinded by inconsiderate pricks who have illegally fitted super bright HID's to their headlights and not aimed them down - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
    Last edited by YNOT; 1st August 2013 at 12:07 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

megatexture (1st August 2013), Winnie (1st August 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    Please be considerate of other drivers and aim your headlights down after fitting HID. I do a lot of night driving and I'm tired of being blinded by inconsiderate pricks who have illegally fitted super bright HID's to their headlights and not aimed them down - EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
    For sure but this is a discussion about converting driving lights to HID and they should only be on with high beam anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

mudski (1st August 2013)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Now I have seen many sites selling HID kits to suit the 800's as they need a different globe to fit. I was going to get the 100W kit with external ballasts but having just ordered some new headlights which will have HID's fitted in them also I don't know how much room I'll have for four ballast in the engine bay.
    So would the 75W versions that have internal ballasts be o.k? Or where would be the best place to mount four ballast? Behind the grill but they will cop a bit of chit being there I reckon.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    For sure but this is a discussion about converting driving lights to HID and they should only be on with high beam anyway.

True, but he also mentioned he has just ordered new headlights which will have HID's fitted to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast