OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - need to prime the beast!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help please - need to prime the beast!

Hi all,

So on 5 seperate occasions now when trying to cold start I have to pop the bonnet and prime the beast to get it going.

It appears to only happen when I park on a slight incline or decline.

Having never owned a diesel before, is this normal?
    2008 GU ST Bog stock and no smoking barrels!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No not normal from my take on things When was fuel filter last changed?
    Check fuel lines as well , but its 08 whats the history??
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nissan dealer I bought it off apparently changed the fuel filter when they did their bog standard oil change and air filter change before flogging the car. But I have my suspicions to whether it was actually done as the air filter wasn’t.

Since then though I have had it down to my regular mechanic and got the 100000k service done and got him to have a good look over it, he said it was fine but would probably need to go at the next service.

I find it bizarre that the fuel is flowing back and it needs to be primed. As far as I can tell there is not excessive unexplainable use of diesel either.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Beni, I have been having that issue for months now mate...............spoke to a bloke from RAC the other week and he said that it could be caused by the seal on the fuel filter thingy not sealing and suggested putting some grease on it and cable tying a latex disposable glove around it.
    I have not tried yet, but will give it ago this weekend.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dogman, I have done a bit of research and although it doesnt seem like a common problem, but some people have been suffering from it. It looks like it may be caused by an air leak somewhere in the fuel line / delivery system. It doesnt have to be big leak either.
    People are suggesting first and foremost before taking your car back to the mechanic to replace all the factory clamps with quality worm drive ones and double check all fuel lines.
    There is also a seal that can wear on the injector pump that can also cause the problem which perishes due to the crap low sulfur diesel we have in the country.
    I am going to have a play this weekend as well and will post up any findings.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After doing a small inspection last night I have discoved that 2 of the fuel line clamps even though they are tight are not sealing the two lines that come out of the top of the fuel filter and head down towards the fuel rail. You can easily twist the fule line with your hand.
    These are still the stock Nissan ones that look like two bits of tie wire with a Phillip bolt head to tighten them. Several others in that area have been replaced with worm drive ones.
    First thing Saturday I am going to replace the stock ones with quality worm drive ones.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beni C For This Useful Post:

Woof (31st July 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Replace those useless clamps. Same was on mine and when I primed the filter after changing it fuel squirted out of there like blood from a cut artery. Put decent stainless worm drive clamps on and is all good. This is what I first though maybe your issue too. Possible air leak and the fuel draining back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Woof (31st July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beni C View Post
    After doing a small inspection last night I have discoved that 2 of the fuel line clamps even though they are tight are not sealing the two lines that come out of the top of the fuel filter and head down towards the fuel rail. You can easily twist the fule line with your hand.
    These are still the stock Nissan ones that look like two bits of tie wire with a Phillip bolt head to tighten them. Several others in that area have been replaced with worm drive ones.
    First thing Saturday I am going to replace the stock ones with quality worm drive ones.
    that should nail the issue, sounded simple enough, always good when its a cheap as repair
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you go with the clamps? Fuel should not run back unless it can get air in the lines from somewhere further up. Please let us know whether the clamps solved the problem.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its looking pretty good at the moment, replaced all the clamps and put in brand new fuel lines as well as some were close to perishing.

Will keep yas posted if it still gives me any greif..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast