Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Rhino trays?

Guys,
    Investigating different roof rack options. I currently have a set of 3 Rhino HD roof bars and have been trying to decide if I should use them together with one of these:
    http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...TRAY_40_1.aspx

Or if I should buy one if the fixed, all in one ARB style alloy racks.
    Does anyone use a Rhino tray? What are they like? Strong enough for a trip across the Simmo or up to the cape? What is the carrying capacity (can't seem to find that on their site)?
    Cheers
    Andrew.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I use Rhino racks , but only difference I made my own rack to suit.
    would not hesitate to travel anywhere, limit yourself to what goes on top
    and you should have no problems, No feed back on the basket rack.
    All I was after was a flat platform with a few tie down points
    that incorporated awning and light bar brackets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Andrew,

I recon they are ugly but I would rate them for strength though. That rack on top of your 3 bars is a winner. Even grabbing a forth bar and it would be great mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the rack I have on the GUIV and it has served me very well mate. I have climbed up on top but am cautious about walking through the centre but km a big bloke had a guy loading fire wood on it the other week and he thought it was a steel rack and walked up the middle with a load of wood and it did ok. I would happily buy again.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Leng...39149e5&_uhb=1
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 27th July 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He also sells the Rhino style and the Rhino Rack roof bars in a copy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HD-Alloy-...27c1769&_uhb=1

He has a good display at his factory in Campbellfield and you can go and have a look mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone make an aluminium tradesman style rack with open ends without the obscene price tag?
    Threedogs design is pretty much what I'm after only in aluminium.
    Some of the prices out there are just that.......out there.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what about the platforms, I reckon they look heaps better

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...Type_2_68.aspx

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    what about the platforms, I reckon they look heaps better

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCa...Type_2_68.aspx
    Yeah, was looking at those. Price isn't too bad and I've already got the Rhino legs. I like how they are flat but I hear you have to rivet the planks to the cross pieces.
    What are people's thoughts on the "robustness" of rivets in rough going?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the larger 2.4 x 1.2 rack with 4 bars and really like it. Impressed that with 2 people we can still easily lift it up there.
    One thing to remember is that the rack mount onto the bars in specific spots, so you have to position the bars in the right place before you can mount the rack to them. Depends if you are going to leave it on all the time or not as to whether this is an issue. From what i know, the gutters are only rated to 50Kg, however we've had 4 bars, roof rack, and hubby up there packing it too, on our old GQ, and never a problem Haven't used it on our new GU yet ... waiting for the weather to improve before we head off on some more trips!
    2006 GU ST 3.0td manual. CTEK 250S Dual Battery - Ironman 65L Ice Cube - Pioneer AVH-3600DAB - Tough Dog Adj 45mm Shocks, springs and HD steering damper - Airtec Snorkel - King Brown 3" exhaust

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tracemul7 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (16th August 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got the Rhino rack as pictured in the first post. Its been great so far. I couldnt tell you the size without measureing it but its a large one. Mine has 3 bars on it. I also have the Rhino gas bottle attachment & a shovel holder attachment. I cant fault it to date. The only thing I dont like is the colour. I wished it was black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast