Thread: sub tank operation

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sub tank operation

Having just bought my 02 3.0 diesel turbo without an owners manual, I am unsure if the sub tank switch is working or I am not operating it correctly. I have put fuel in sub tank , the sub tank light comes on when turning on ignition, but when I press the sub tank switch nothing happens. Have I got a faulty switch , or am I doing something wrong ????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nab mate all good. It is a transfer pump and works quite slowly. There is a small light on the actual switch that will light up but nothing else. The light in the dash is a fault light and does not illuminate during transfer.

The sub tank has a transfer pump that turns off automatically when it had finished the transfer and will take upto 20minute to complete.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mopper (27th July 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate , I just had a look at the 98 owners manual on here and realised the only fault was me !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sub Tank light will illuminate when the switch is pressed, and the light goes out when the transfer is complete.

I have never had a problem with mine, but some have had to add an extra earth strap to make theirs work.

If yours is working, it will start to transfer once your fuel in the main tank gets low and you press the switch, but it does take a while as it pumps the fuel through a small rubber hose back into the main tank.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

mopper (27th July 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm who's right MR or Happy. As mine light on the dash doesn't come up. either. Did once when I pulled the plug out of the socket and turned the ignition on...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a quick fix is isolate the battery for 10 minutes and retest your sub tank. it clears the fault. if light comes back on dash you might have a fault with pump or wiring.
    005 GU PATROL 4.2TD WITH SAFARI TURBO, SNORKLE, LONG RANGE TANKS,BULL BAR ,DUAL WHEEL CARRIER, ROOF RACK, TIGER WINCH, STEERING DAMPER , REAR DRAWS AND ENGEL SLIDE,35L WATER BLADDER.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of getting a 2007 Runabout and was just wondering about the two tanks. From what I have been told the sub tank is above the main. When the main is about half full I can hit the switch to top it up from the Sub. What is the reason for the two tanks? Why not just have one big tank? Just wondering.