OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to stop rear wheels rubbing on flares?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to stop rear wheels rubbing on flares?

Gday guys...

On my way up to the cape and with the patrol fully loaded, these new wheels are starting to rub on the flares in the rough roads. So far just between bourke and longreach but im worried it'll get worse from cairns up.
    Currently running koni shocks and dobinson springs for a 2inch lift. And mickey Thompson (233/11.5) 285/75/16 with neg 13 offset.

Im thinking either new springs with a higher load rating. Or airbags in the coils. Not sure what's going to be best/easiest. Probably will have to get whatever it is in cairns on Saturday.

Whats going to be the best to stop it wearing out new tyres and a hole in the guards?
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extending the bump stops will also help.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your car is sitting so low on the suspension that the tyres are rubbing on the gaurds over bumps then you definately need heavier spring rates or air bags in the rear coils. If you get desperate I have seen photos of people filling the coil springs with tennis balls to increase the spring rate!
    While you're under the car inspect the top spring mounts on the chassis for cracks, known weak spot.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,523 Times in 6,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    While you're under the car inspect the top spring mounts on the chassis for cracks, known weak spot.
    If the problem is getting worse as you travel then this could well be your trouble.

Have a good look mate. It can get ugly.

If you have so much weight that the springs are sagging beyond serviceability then swap them ut if you can or install some bags as you have suggested. Or loose some stuff

Can you posta pic of the side view of your car loaded please mate to show us how it is sitting. Also some specs on what your running in terms of springs and lift.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If its sitting ok and also traveling well just scrubbing stuff out then maybe grab a couple of cheap +10 offset rims for the back just for the trip and pit them on the back where the scrubbing it. This would alter the clearance by 23mm and positive 10 is standard Nissan Offset
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far only scrubbing on the rougher sections at higher speeds. I had a quick look earlier couldn't anything wrong. Ill have a better look in daylight.

Its only scrubbing at the top so I dont know if changing the offset will help too much. Thats why I was thinking springs or bags.

Whats involved in adjusting bumpstops?

Grabbed those pics before crawling into bed. Ill get a better one of ride height in the morning.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorculture mobile app
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even in those photos it looks like it wouldn't be any higher than standard.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's looks pretty low.

Changing the offset will put the tyre inside the flare and it may well clear the inside edge and allow the tyre up into the wheel arch.

If your running without a lift maybe its time bud what brand springs have you got.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah it's looks pretty low.

Changing the offset will put the tyre inside the flare and it may well clear the inside edge and allow the tyre up into the wheel arch.

If your running without a lift maybe its time bud what brand springs have you got.
    In his sig it says he has a 2" if he does and going by those photos it looks like he is running factory springs loaded to the hilt. I'm with everyone else heavier coils or bags and inspect the spring mounts.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea x4. Bags are awesome. Keeps a nice smooth ride when empty but gives the ability to load em up.
    If unavailable then as YNOT said, stuff your springs full of tennis balls. You'll need to extend the spring first though, so Jack the body up and stuff em in. A quick wrap with race tape to ensure none pop out (unlikely but some people say they have seen them pop out) and away you go..
    The tennis balls work like a make shift air bag, won't allow as much flex, but will fix your scrubbing issue..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast