Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glow plug issues

Good day all its Sebastiaan.

i drive a 2.8 td gq. with the look to upgrade later to a v8 turbo

I got something interesting going on with my glow plugs.
    the car has been starting like an absolute c*** and figured id check the glow plugs. turns out that only the one on the very front was still working. so ended up replacing 5 glow plugs thinking that was the issue..
    done that this morning after that i tried starting her up and still have the same problem it does start a lot better but still starts like its missing on 1 cylinder.

thing i noticed is that the relay under the dash kicks over as soon as i give it a bit to try and keep it running. after its warm its fine and starts fine to even when it sits for a bit.
    im also noticing to that the glow plug light comes back on when i start it and keep flashing for a while.. i tried to find out what that maybe a sign of but i haven't found it yet.

thing im wondering is what is going?
    can anyone give me some advise on what to do please?
    just remember..every track is a great challange but the rule remains: shiny side up rubber side down!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Hero man,
    only sending this 'cause you're looking lonely out there, mate. Sure hope someone else who does have a clue comes along to help.
    Where you from? Your profile doesn't have much detail.
    Can it be you're somewhere with overnight temps. in the below freezing range? I know mine don't start up too well in those conditions. (That's the car as well as my private parts).
    Never had the glow light come back on once running so can't help there either. Can you check the full glow plug circuit for faults?
    Hope you get the good word soon,
    Col

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate yeah hadnt been on here for a while due to no net etc. still gotta do up my profile more.
    im in bundaberg qld. i have check the ciruit but can seem to find a fault aye. even check all glowplugs straight from the battery and they all seem to work. if i cant find it i might have to get it checked out by a auto sparky. cheers for the response mate
    just remember..every track is a great challange but the rule remains: shiny side up rubber side down!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What type of glow plugs did you fit?

The 2.8TD GQ's run two different types of glow plugs. The front 3 glow plugs are different to the rear glow plugs. They have different part numbers.

The glow plug light coming on once the engine has started is indicating a problem with the second stage circuit.

Your second stage relay could be faulty. You will need to check that you are getting 12 volts at the glows plugs when the ignition is turned on and then 6 volts once the engine is running.

You could also have a fault with the engine coolant temperature circuit (this is different to the temperature gauge in the dash). Check the connector at the sender unit.
    Last edited by Yendor; 14th July 2013 at 09:50 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

Col.T (15th July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Yendor. sorry for the late reply mate. been away for work. I bought the different glow plugs for the back. i cant remember the brand name now id have to look.
    i do remember they were a cp71 for the back and 6.5 volts on all 6.

i ended up booking the car in to get it fixed.. i had a few other things i wanted done so i figured id get that looked at to. ill post the results of that later.
    thanks for your help though very much appreciated!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The voltage to the glow system is cut when over a certain amount of revs (i think 2400), keeping it under this limit while kicking it to live might help a bit as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    NISSANS Rulz .... "Amelia" the 2006 4.2ltr Patrol Ute & "Seamus" the 2008 3ltr Patrol Wagon