User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruising revs on a 6.5 chev

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way of telling the age of a transmission, Marks adapters website states 'Nissan updated all GU Patrols as of 08/2004 with a longer spline main shaft and 5th gear'. Is this what that modification is trying to achieve? Although mine now has a 4.2 box in it, how would I know if the box has the new spline. My rpm at 100 sits at about 21-2200 so it probably hasn't got it.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cant tell from the outside, and the way you can tell if it is ok or not, is by checking the colour of the oil

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    After an 800klm highway run, I am definitely pleased with the change. Revs are at 1850-1870 on the 100kph mark, and at around 2000rpm for 110kph. Still plenty of torque if a quick overtake is needed.

When towing, it did require a few extra downshifts to 4th on the hills, but I'll take that as an acceptable consequence.
    G'day Ben,

I am curious what your fuel consumption figures are like, ie city, hwy and towing?

Regards,

RLI
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't filled up since putting the new 5th gear in and driving that last 800klm trip, so can't compare that yet. We also did a stack of hard low range driving, but the low range stuff is mainly all just idling or slightly above, with short bursts of acceleration.

My best fuel consumption has been 14.3litres/100klm, which was a combination run on around 650klms of highway, good dirt roads and a little 4wdriving. I have also had figures of 14.6/100 and when towing it gets into the 16/100, but again, I haven't done a long highway run with the boat on to accurately gauge that yet.

I'm currently away with work, and have to drop the fuel tanks to remove contaminants when I get back home, so I am unlikely to have an accurate figure for a while yet. I would be very surprised if the fuel consumption comes down too much from where it is, but Brunswick reckons it should get into the high 13/100. I'm dubious of those sorts of figures, but keen to put it on a dyno to get the best out of it soon. No doubt it would also benefit from a mandrel bent exhaust instead of what is currently on it.

I'd be interested to see what sort of figures others with this engine are getting as well.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done a fuel comparo yet that's on the highway only... The last one I did was highway/off road and towing a camper trailer... About 18/100.... Was still pleased as my old 4.5l GU was 22/100 and no where near the torque the new beast has!

I was initially told not to get one as they over heated, cooked heads and blew turbos and drank fuel like there was no tomorrow....

Bloody glad I didn't listen. I've had my wee beastie for about a year and still giggle like a school girl when I hit the loud pedal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12