Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thats it I'm off

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome home. Also looking forward to hearing more once you've 'settled'.
    Am interested in how your Tyredogs held up. I've put off buying some until I heard how your's went on the corrugations with same wheels.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (22nd August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you arrived safe and sound a trip of a life time
    looking forward to the trip report jane cant wait
    to see your pics well done mate
    say high to your dad for me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

macca (22nd August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Welcome home. Also looking forward to hearing more once you've 'settled'.
    Am interested in how your Tyredogs held up. I've put off buying some until I heard how your's went on the corrugations with same wheels.

Cuppa
    Cuppa they worked out fine, I got a bit of dense foam 25mm thick and cut holes in it with a 25mm hole saw.
    The plug that came out of the saw was pushed over the valve stem to stop the stem impacting the rim with the sensor on it.
    Then as added security taped it to the rim with some 100mph tape. Had to put new tape on when adjusting pressures though. not pretty but who cares?
    Did have some smash themselves on rims on a ABH crossing in 2010, no worries this time.

Fuel economy was just short of 20litres per 100klm on the tracks and 14.5litres per 100klm on the tar with tyres (cold) at 15 front 25 rear on the tracks and 32 front 52 rear on the tar. hot on the tar the pressure went to 38 and 58psi so worked out good.
    Out of 6 vehicles 5 broke mirrors, I had cables break as there was not enough slack on them, both on the water pumps, UHF mike clip fell to bits, Rear work light fell off, fridge slide lost a few bits, split the water tank, door switch broke, 2 open circuit batteries replaced by 2 in the same condition. Thought the alternator had thrown a wobbly but was the batteries playing up.
    Had lots of small issues but not enough to stop us.
    Had some awesome drives, fantastic camp sites, met awesome people, appreciated the camaraderie of the fellow travellers on the tracks and really enjoyed a looong shower when the opportunity arose.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Glad you arrived safe and sound a trip of a life time
    looking forward to the trip report jane cant wait
    to see your pics well done mate
    say high to your dad for me
    Once work / paperwork is caught up and getting the Patrol unpacked and cleaned so I can repair the damage, I will get some of the 800 plus pics on for Jane to enjoy then hassle you to take her out there.
    The scenery and flowers were mind blowing. You start to think its all looking the same then it changes and dramatically, flora and landscape.
    Some of the wells have water so sweet, others are just depressions in the ground where they once were. We found them easily using co-ordinates on the GPS if their location was a bit obscure. Didn't visit 1, too close to Wiluna nor 20 (I think) as it was 20klm off the track and a ruin. Saw all the others though.
    The natural water sources were incredible, hard to believe they are there.
    Our fuel was at 23, and my pump worked a treat.
    Great memories, that's for sure.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Cuppa they worked out fine, I got a bit of dense foam 25mm thick and cut holes in it with a 25mm hole saw.
    The plug that came out of the saw was pushed over the valve stem to stop the stem impacting the rim with the sensor on it.
    Then as added security taped it to the rim with some 100mph tape. Had to put new tape on when adjusting pressures though. not pretty but who cares?
    Sounds good, think I'll buy some.
    One further question. How easily do they accommodate airing down/up? Do you have to reset them each time & is this a drama?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Sounds good, think I'll buy some.
    One further question. How easily do they accommodate airing down/up? Do you have to reset them each time & is this a drama?

Cuppa
    Yes you do have to reset the alarms if air pressure is outside the setting already saved. Takes a few seconds so not a problem. Mine are 6 sensors for 2 spares or a trailer. Very happy with mine without a doubt.

edit; Took the tyres off to pressure blast all the dirt off, the rears were new with 13.5mm thread, now 11mm. The fronts had 11.5mm tread now 10.5mm. Thought that might happen as the rears do get asked to do a lot of the work.
    Last edited by macca; 24th August 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

10. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (23rd August 2013)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345