OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobile Mechanic - Expressions of Interest :)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont skimp on the hourly rate. Diesel fittes arnt cheap
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

nissannewby (9th July 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I need a few minor things done at the moment but because I live in the sticks you'd have to charge me an absolute shitload to be able to make a profit.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say there is a market there. There isn't really anything else similar. You have the big players, arb/tjm, but nothing for the average Joe who can't afford a big brand name product. I would be starting some what local, eg only a couple hours either side, then get your name out, once there is a demand then go interstate. Just my 2c
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Apollofish said it in his post , trust, plus how many out there have history from new and
    only get their Patrol serviced by one guy, not the apprentice, no offence to apprentices.
    Very hard to find a trust worthy mechanic as well, You may need to limit what you do to services,
    brakes and front ends. As gearbox rebuilds may have to be tackled differently, as long as you manage your time
    you should be fine, word of mouth is a great gift. Good luck time is now yours
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Rates depending I'd be keen mate. But not being my daily driver, won't be in need of a service very regular.
    You may be slow to start but you just need to get a client base and word of mouth happening
    It may also be viable to travel to Sydney at first with a few days work lined up or other states until you can build up a decent client base...

It took me a couple of years to move most of my work from Toorak to over my way.. I kept the good jobs over there and only go over mostly on Monday and Tuesdays and then the rest of the time I am nearer to home.

Even down here where we really appreciate a good mechanic you could work for a week make some decent money then head back??

You know you are always welcome to sleep at Rossco's and eat Fruit loops... ha ha!!! Think about it sweat cakes!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea mat id use your service for sure,but remember once it takes off
    you wont be home much like tony
    what if you set up work shop days like healys,see what they want done,you might be in one place for a couple of days to a week
    wont be long and you,ll be the flying machanic

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were in the position of needing to pay a local workshop to do some work, with the alternative being able to have you do it, you would be my choice on the proviso that it was work that could wait until you could do it. If I had a local workshop with whom I had a good trusting relationship that might be different.

I would love for you to be able to make a living from something you love doing, it's everyone's dream, but to an extent I'm going to play devils advocate......

I'm not saying it would be a problem, but it is not uncommon for friendships to be placed under pressure when money is involved - you should bear this in mind when deciding what to do.

It's hard to know whether you should be adventurous or cautious Mat. There is no doubting that you have already established a very positive reputation on the forum, but whether that would translate into providing you with a living wage or better remains up in the air. If you can do it without needing to invest too much upfront, I'd reckon you could certainly get a fair bit of work, but a job here & a job there is not the same as a job every day. I guess it depends what sort of expectations you might hold. That all said, there is also the possibility that as word of mouth spreads you would get more & more work, but there are no guarantees.

Fwiw, someone with your skills, & prepared to travel would get plenty of work in outback towns & stations. Many towns just can't get skilled workers & I don't doubt for a moment that if you were there face to face, that one job would quickly lead to another & your problem would soon become being able to leave town! I don't know your family commitments, but if you are free to travel maybe a combination of outback & forum work could be worthwhile, at least to start with???

If you can see yourself as a teacher, something similar to what Roofy has suggested could possibly prove popular. Pre-arranged workshops, with limited numbers to teach folks how to do stuff to their vehicles. Suss out what is wanted by forum members, & then do a 'tour'. Smaller numbers make it more worthwhile for those attending, but attendance fees would have to be higher. Research needed to get the balance right.

I suspect a mix of different approaches could be a good way to go.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 9th July 2013 at 08:11 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyboy View Post
    know much about 12 volt mate? will be looking for a set up for the gq / camper soonish

ozz
    Yes mate. Know 12 and 24v well, maybe not quite like yendor but I do all the wiring on all my cars myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post
    I would say there is a market there. There isn't really anything else similar. You have the big players, arb/tjm, but nothing for the average Joe who can't afford a big brand name product. I would be starting some what local, eg only a couple hours either side, then get your name out, once there is a demand then go interstate. Just my 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    It may also be viable to travel to Sydney at first with a few days work lined up or other states until you can build up a decent client base...

It took me a couple of years to move most of my work from Toorak to over my way.. I kept the good jobs over there and only go over mostly on Monday and Tuesdays and then the rest of the time I am nearer to home.

Even down here where we really appreciate a good mechanic you could work for a week make some decent money then head back??

You know you are always welcome to sleep at Rossco's and eat Fruit loops... ha ha!!! Think about it sweat cakes!!!
    This is the way I'm thinking. If I can spend a few days, a week etc at a given location and try and plan the work like that. Kinda have like month cycles as such for eg 1 week in bris, 1 in syd, 1 in melb etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that be your long term plan mate, or do you see yourself wanting to be based closer to home on a permanent basis?

Just thinking that if you spread yourself too thin and can only get back to each location every three or four weeks people may not be able to wait, or time their services/repairs to coincide with your visits. In the long run you might find a lack of repeat business, not due to workmanship but availability.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonicus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast