Thread: First drive a GU 4.5Ltr on Sunday

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First drive a GU 4.5Ltr on Sunday

I took my two boys along Duck Creek Rd @ Lamington National park yesterday for some beginner bush 4wding and just to get outside and amongst it. I took dads '99 GU out for the first time and wondered if what I felt driving it was normal.
    Braking: It sort of just slows first then brakes as you push harder. I understand it's a large vehicle but when I watched other similar sized 4wd's there was a definite brake and tip forward like you would expect from braking. It's hard to explain but I guess it did feel squishy.
    Power: On the tracks, it did great, just chugged along but I did wonder why they bothered to give it 4 gears. 1 seems to be enough, forwards, as it never really gives any surge of power when it drops a gear if plant your right foot a bit more. Going up road hills on the way to and from it just chugs up slowly and planting it just seems to chew more fuel with no extra go. Does it maybe need a tune or is it just a slow beast.

This GU has upgraded suspension, bags on the rear and 2" lift and you could really feel the comfort and loved the extra ride height. It's only an ST but the seats are really comfortable and great back support. Overall for 4wd'ing we had a great drive. If I bought my own GU I think I'd look seriously at spending the extra cash on a GU III with the 4.8 and 5 sp auto. From what I hear it really is a better package and better on the road as well.

Anyhow, 2 pics from the day. I took a vid on my phone but it was way too shaking and the sun was front on so couldn't see jack.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BiLLz0r For This Useful Post:

AB (8th July 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will probably find that the brakes are nearly worn out. That's how mine felt before I replaced them, stops like a champ now. Well as good as you would expect from a 2.5t car.
    They certainly aren't race cars, they are great off road, all the power you could really ever need. On road they are a bit sluggish, but some love (service, slight tune) they should run fairly well. Im quite happy with my own.
    1 thing I have found, putting your boot flat on the floor doesn't really change much, except how fast the fuel gauge drops. Somewhrere around 85% seems to be a good spot for mine. Possibly a tuning issue, I don't know. She goes alright and that's all that matters.

Cheers mate
    Lachlan
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good times hey mate....!!!!!!