Thread: 6.5 Chevy repair manual

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6.5 Chevy repair manual

Hey all,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can help out with a repair manual for a 6.5 Chevy, googled and searched without much luck.

Thanks in advance.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a quick look, is this enough of a repair manual for you? If not I will have another search during the week

Cheers

Toddie

http://www.skylab.org/~zetan/van/9-2815-237-34.pdf

Above link found on this forum thread : http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...-6-2-6-5l.html

Found an excellent US Army repair manual on the 6.2-6.5L diesel engines that can be downloaded free online. Its 271 pages in pdf format and contains some of the best illustrations of engine components I've found anywhere. Even includes detailed instructions on teardown and repair of the fuel injection pump.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (1st July 2013), Ian2011 (2nd July 2013), MudRunnerTD (3rd July 2013)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian2011 View Post
    Hey all,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can help out with a repair manual for a 6.5 Chevy, googled and searched without much luck.

Thanks in advance.
    Ian, off topic a bit, but how do you go for fuel economy with the diesel gas conversion?

I have found over the last 3000 odd klms that I am averaging between 14.3 and 14.6l/100klms when driven easily. As high as 16/100 when in the bush and loaded up.

BenK
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toddie thanks for that info, Ben, you are doing better then me, I'm currently getting 16l per 100 regardless of weight or driving style. I am going through a tank of gas generally every 2 tanks of diesel. although I can feel the gas cutting in and out, I may need a bigger injector. I have only got about 6000 klm on the engine so I am hoping to get a bit back as it loosens up. Are you running gas? and if so how often are you filling the gas tank
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that manual suitable for you Ian??? I only had a quick look through it before posting up the link.

Cheers

Toddie

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thanks Toddie, that one is pretty good and shows most of the common areas across the 6.2 - 6.5 engines and breaks component areas down so that is good, mine is the newer optimiser but there is bugger all difference between them. On another note, in your role as a moderator is there any scope to set up a group on this site specifically for us people that have taken the chevy plunge to allow us to share info a little easier?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running straight diesel. Garrett GT35 turbo, 3" exhaust (not mandrel bent) - nothing special. I hadn't even thought about running gas on it either to be honest. I wanted the torque for pulling a 2t boat mostly, and wasn't too concerned about the economy, which has been better than I thought it would be. Mine only has 3500klms on it now and the first 800 of those ran at about 16/100. I then did two trips which involved highway, bush driving and city stuff, and it came back at 14.3 and 14.6, which I was pretty bloody happy with. In fact, at those rates it was better than the previous work Toyota V8 ute, or the 200 series or the 100 series, that I had been using when all were loaded up or towing.

I have been really impressed with it in the bush more than anything. The extra torque just lets it idle through stuff I used to have to work hard through.

Not sure if comparing klms per tank would match, I have 248ltrs on board when I fill up thanks to new main and sub tanks.

Ben
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian2011 View Post
    Yes thanks Toddie, that one is pretty good and shows most of the common areas across the 6.2 - 6.5 engines and breaks component areas down so that is good, mine is the newer optimiser but there is bugger all difference between them. On another note, in your role as a moderator is there any scope to set up a group on this site specifically for us people that have taken the chevy plunge to allow us to share info a little easier?
    No worries mate, on the other note I will speak with Andy ( Admin ) About Setting up a new section, rather than just Chevy it might be for Engine Conversions in general

Cheers Toddie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Ian2011 (2nd July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the gas on the old 2.8 so l just had it reconnected to the 6.5. I too got it for the torque and fully agree they are great in the bush, sometimes barely leave third gear. what rpm are yo doing at 100k, read a forum post once that said this bloke was doin 100 at 1700 rpm, mine sits on 2200 rpm with 31in rims and 3.9 gears.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running 33's (well - 285/75R16) and sitting on a hundred it does about 2230rpm according to my tacho. Same 3.9 diff. This is one thing I would like to somehow improve for the long haul drives, but the only way is to get a 3.5 ratio gear ($1500), which should bring revs down to around 1800-ish. I am told there is another bloke in Cairns (where I live) who runs this set up and I am keen to get in touch and see what he reckons about it all. The overtaking ability with the current setup is great but I would like to see the revs a bit lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast