Thread: Best starter welder for bar work

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    $450 is a decent one, it's the $100 ones (or there abouts) you need to watch out for. I guess being a former boilermaker I am used to the simple old school ones, using the head flick to bring how the protective lens before I strike the arc.

What I hate are those who weld near roads and don't put up screens (even a tarp does the trick) to protect others from flashes. I had a neighbour who used to do that where I used to live, very annoying hen driving past.
    Mind you that price was when they first came out, I had an opportunity to by a Mig[ now sits idle]
    I love my new inverter welder and my Trans -Arc is retired as well unless I need some serious penertration.
    Maybe Im old school but I prefer stick welding, any position
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Mind you that price was when they first came out, I had an opportunity to by a Mig[ now sits idle]
    I love my new inverter welder and my Trans -Arc is retired as well unless I need some serious penertration.
    Maybe Im old school but I prefer stick welding, any position
    I've known some tradesman who prefer the old stick over the MIG. Stick are better for site work (no need to drag a gas bottle around) and have fewer issues as less to go wrong, and do have stronger welds, hence why a lot of pressure welding is done with stick. I personally can weld with both just as well, I am thinking of picking up one of those Ebay types that are both a stick and MIG in one. Also seen some with a plasma cutter and a welder in one so tempted to get one of those as well when I can get the funds together. Need to do some more research on them first though.

Owner of 1984 SD33T MK Patrol
    Owner of 1989 TD42 GQ Patrol
    Previous Owner of a 1988 TB42 DA Maverick
    ------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate I just bought one off ebay its a mishto mig/tig/arc and mig gasless, cost me $350 220amp also not a qualified welder but hey its giving these things a crack that makes our cars worth more to us.

buy one and practice on scrap steel you tube is great for picking up little tips and tricks 20160621_123119_zpsxlcxtvtu.jpg

excuse the mess in the shed :P

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456