User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best starter welder for bar work

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the bump. But I'd thought I would add some info.

I am a qualified boilermaker by trade, I used to weld on the trains now running around in Sydney. Some points in this thread were of interest to me.

Firstly welding isn't that hard, even for beginners. I understand the points about safety and agree totoally that a smaller project should be used before tackling a larger one that could become a safety issue if not done right. Best to get some experience first. Doing a pre-trade course at TAFE is a great way, I did one myself before I got an apprenticeship and I learnt a lot. It's basically doing your first year as an apprentice at Tafe all rolled up into 6 months, or 12 months if doing it only at night.

ARC welding aka Stick are better suited for thicker material, all most all pressure welding is done via ARC rather than MIG. TIG is the another option, though on steel it's not a good option, better suited for stainless and aluminium.

For manufacturing a bullbar a MIG welder would be fine. In the trade you can weld 10mm-12mm easily with a MIG, although for a standard 240V home supply I think 6MM is the max most of those off the shelf welders can do.

Depending on the material you're welding a few factors needed to be considered. Aluminium for example is so easy to blow through as there is no heat spot visible when welding. Stainless warps easily, as it doesn't spread the heat like steel. Like those stainless steel BBQ's at parks and camping sites always heat up only where the gas burners are but don't spread the heat well to the edge of the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Yeah gotta love the self darkening helmets, save heaps of time.IMO
    I tried one once while an apprentice, unless you pay the big bucks for them they aren't that good, you can still get flashed from them as they take a split second to darken on you. Using the standard helmet is a safer option.

Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    What about a mig with gas less wire, I'm using it ATM and don't mind it.
    whats your opinions of it if you have used it
    The flux coated wire is not much different in principle to ARC welding, the wire is coated in a fluxed design to float to the top of the weld to protect the weld from the atmosphere. If I was welding at home with a MIG I would use flux coated wire. Saves on the gas costs. All you need is a new liner for your gun, and a welding tip and you're all set. Just remember you push a MIG (right to left if you're right handed) but drag a stick (left to right if you're right handed).

Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt_dr3ams View Post
    Yes mate welding flash does hurt and it happens, it's always that flash you catch in the wrong spot. The worst part is you'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling like you have sand in the back of your eyes and trying to drive to work in the morning is painful. Your eye or eyes will be trying to close continually with any direct light.

On a side note, welding will sunburn you. Arc is not so bad but mig welding will fry everything from your hand piece to under your arms. I have a bad habit of wearing just a shirt and gloves with a mig and i'll get blisters above the gloves and red raw sunburn under my shirt just before your armpits.

You don't really feel how its burning you until the damage is done, I really should have taken the time to point this out in my first post.
    Not to mention a flash can over time cause damage to your eyes, and a welding flash is worse for your skin than the worst sunburn. You can get cancer from prolonged ray burn from welding, much easier than getting sunburned each summer at the beach. It's a reason why boilermakers on a hot summers day are covered head to toe in protective gear. I've had some bad burn in my time and it's not good.

I hope this post might help those in-experience with welding.

Owner of 1984 SD33T MK Patrol
    Owner of 1989 TD42 GQ Patrol
    Previous Owner of a 1988 TB42 DA Maverick
    ------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Majestic For This Useful Post:

Bob (13th February 2015), MudRunnerTD (13th February 2015), neet_wagon (14th February 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I paid $450 for my helmet I like my eyes and have had "Flash" and dont wish another dose thanks
    Funny thing is on the odd occasion I got flash I wasnt welding, this was in the days of no welding booths.
    though all measures were taken its nothing like today with all the OH&S, sometimes it was on site mainly the Ford factory shut downs
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Majestic (13th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as how everyone else is adding their 2c.

I'm not a boily, I'm a fitter/turner. But I do a fair bit of welding for work and am fairly competent.

Start with a stick. If you start with a mig then you will never perfect your technique, and your welds will always be second rate.

Start with a few bits of scrap, then a few small projects. Not barwork

Before you do a project, weld together some scrap. Cut across the weld. Ensure you have good burn in throughout the entire weld.

Make sure you have anything critical checked by someone in the know.

Cheers
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Punderhead For This Useful Post:

Majestic (13th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    I paid $450 for my helmet I like my eyes and have had "Flash" and dont wish another dose thanks
    Funny thing is on the odd occasion I got flash I wasnt welding, this was in the days of no welding booths.
    though all measures were taken its nothing like today with all the OH&S, sometimes it was on site mainly the Ford factory shut downs
    $450 is a decent one, it's the $100 ones (or there abouts) you need to watch out for. I guess being a former boilermaker I am used to the simple old school ones, using the head flick to bring how the protective lens before I strike the arc.

What I hate are those who weld near roads and don't put up screens (even a tarp does the trick) to protect others from flashes. I had a neighbour who used to do that where I used to live, very annoying hen driving past.

Owner of 1984 SD33T MK Patrol
    Owner of 1989 TD42 GQ Patrol
    Previous Owner of a 1988 TB42 DA Maverick
    ------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I guess being a former boilermaker I am used to the simple old school ones, using the head flick to bring how the protective lens before I strike the arc.
    Have you ever done the old sight,flick,tack, sight, flick, tack, sight, tack, flick, shit trick. I know I have.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???? may as well change the topic heading to "what welder do you prefer to use "...the bloke never got back since july 2013 !
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    had a Boss who would sight ,flick weld with open eyes {Absolute fool}
    I love my stick welding as I ve said many times my dog can mig weld as well lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by menace 2 View Post
    ???? may as well change the topic heading to "what welder do you prefer to use "...the bloke never got back since july 2013 !
    Or just a general welding stories. The guy doesn't know what he's missing.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (13th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a crack bud..thats the only way your gonna learn... my setup is a unimig 190... good all around unit.. does mig, tig and stick.. there come down a lot in price and can be found around the 1k mark now.. i prefer to use gas but it can also run flux core (gasless).. a front bar and sliders and its pretty much paid for itself... thats the beauty of welding steel.. its so forgiving.. if u stuff a weld, grind it back and simply reweld.. theres also a lot of other perks.. like mates borrowing it and paying with beers... I've also got a jd2 notcher and a jd2 bar bender with air hydraulic conversion.. so pretty much full setup... cant be a bit of d.i.y

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have just read this thread through, thanks to all for your input. Great thread. Great reference. Will certainly take note of all the advice here. cheers guys.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast