Thread: Best starter welder for bar work

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what causes a hole to appear in the metal when welding with an arc welder? I find, particularly when I haven't welded for a while I can melt, what I'm welding and create a hole.
    Going too slow? Not feeding enough of the rod? Or too much?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Mudski Amps too high for the size of material, wrong rod choice, lingering, where maybe stop, start may be better. Heaps of what ifs.
    Mig is ideal for sheet metal, stitch weld, plus tack all work before welding to avoid movement. Always wear eye protection "flash" does hurt
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got taught that on a test piece of the material you intend to weld you get it to the point you blow a hole through it then bring back the amps till you no longer do so , that was more so for mig but cant see why the same does not apply for arc?

I am going to make my rear bar very soon and will only fit it if I am 100% happy with my welds... should be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My welder only has two size choices. 2.5mm or 3.2mm. Its a 20 year old little Cig Welder. One of those "blue boxes" they used to have. Maybe still do...I use 16TC rods, by memory.
    I've always pondered on the thought of making my ARB steps into rock sliders, or atleast a kind of slider, just for a bit more sil protection...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have yet to see a true slider, why don't ppl just call them pipe steps, as that's all they are
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @ Mudski Amps too high for the size of material, wrong rod choice, lingering, where maybe stop, start may be better. Heaps of what ifs.
    Mig is ideal for sheet metal, stitch weld, plus tack all work before welding to avoid movement. Always wear eye protection "flash" does hurt
    Yes mate welding flash does hurt and it happens, it's always that flash you catch in the wrong spot. The worst part is you'll wake up in the middle of the night feeling like you have sand in the back of your eyes and trying to drive to work in the morning is painful. Your eye or eyes will be trying to close continually with any direct light.

On a side note, welding will sunburn you. Arc is not so bad but mig welding will fry everything from your hand piece to under your arms. I have a bad habit of wearing just a shirt and gloves with a mig and i'll get blisters above the gloves and red raw sunburn under my shirt just before your armpits.

You don't really feel how its burning you until the damage is done, I really should have taken the time to point this out in my first post.

Reading and posting in this thread has made me realize how much is behind welding with a mig and a arc, its going to take years to understand.
    Last edited by sil3nt_dr3ams; 5th July 2013 at 06:09 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sil3nt_dr3ams For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th July 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes some good tips there.
    To get a little deeper. Welding flash is caused by the ultra violet rays, just like sun burn.
    Ultra violet can't pass threw plastic or glass, ie a welding helmet or car window. So if you do get a flash don't be to worried. You'll get the dot in your eyes for a little like you've been looking at the sun, but as long as you have glasses on or the helmet you won't get welding flash.

And don't weld in shorts or shirt sleeve tops.. you will regret it.. and possibly be walking like a well hung young cow boy for a few days..

Also grab a box of ear plugs. When welding a ultra high frequency noise is emitted, and although you can hear some crackle, with out hearing protection your ears will be ringing for hours, maybe days..

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Yes some good tips there.
    To get a little deeper. Welding flash is caused by the ultra violet rays, just like sun burn.
    Ultra violet can't pass threw plastic or glass, ie a welding helmet or car window. So if you do get a flash don't be to worried. You'll get the dot in your eyes for a little like you've been looking at the sun, but as long as you have glasses on or the helmet you won't get welding flash.

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Are you saying I can't get Sun burnt if I wind the windows up in my car?

so far so good on motorculture
    Hello from Under Down Under!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes normal glass although transparent to visible light will block the majority of the uv spectrum.
    2012 GU8 Polar White Auto ST Patrol, Factory Bull bar, Scangauge 2, EGR blanked, Milford cargo barrier, Outback ideas recovery points, Micks retrofit HID 3 inch projectors with Osram bulbs and 55w ballasts, GME TXE3420, Sidewinder dual battery with monitor, Windcheetah 2.0m alloy rack, Suspension Stuff 2" Flexy lift with SS Monotubes, MT ATZ 4 ribs 265/75R16 on black Dynamic rims, Custom rear draws with fridge slide.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blacklotusdog For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th February 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the mistake few years ago mig welding with a singlet on.

haha its not nice.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast