Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting a Safari snorkel to a 2007 3ltr CR Patrol

HI all
    seen there is plenty of info out there on this subject, how ever seen as I have just completed my first Snorkel fit, I thought I would share the experience:
    1) chose a Safari snorkel because the old GQ had one fitted (they all seem pretty much the same, and what I saw was you pay for what you get)
    2)Checked this forum out and ensured there was no pit fall's (you know the one's where the instructions read "now simply fit"!!!)
    3)Chose my day, checked I had all that was required,
    a)tooling (spare drills bit's etc)
    b)Paints, sealants, tape
    c) CHECKED content of the kit supplied (twice)
    d)TIME, that's the thing that always ruins a good job if you don't have enough of it.

So first I followed the instructions (which I found adequate detailed) and removed all that was required to gain access. (they recommended removing the antenna, I did , not sure it was really necessary). Discarded the inner wing factory fitted inlet tube (this took some removing, you need to be patient and ensure all sealant is carefully cut, don't wish to damage the surface protection under here)
    Once all parts are removed I looked at aliening the template, this is the critical part, take some of the TIME you have and get it right, at first I could not decide which edges they have used to alien the Template, as it does not fit so perfect. (I chose to alien along the back edge of the wing and the top edge as these are pretty fixed points, see photos attached).
    Once the details have been transferred onto the cars wing (tip, put some masking tape on the area where you mark the points). you can think of drilling as required, (the instructions give details of all sizes required), now for the larger air intake whole, I chose to chain drill this one, (chain drilling is when you drill numerous small wholes around the circumference of the cut out, then link them all resulting in the required whole. Note: the smaller the drill you use, the less dressing (filing) is required at the end, but then more wholes are required to be drilled. (see photos attached of my job).
    Once this is completed its time to apply undercoat to all the cut surfaces, including them just drilled.
    Once this was all completed, the fitting instructions are quite straight forward, use plenty of sealant where directed.
    Hope this helps the next DIY

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the outer hole ended up neat as a pin chimp well done

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tape is a good idea

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    you will get a slight increase in economy and power.
    The main advantage is your sourcing cooler,cleaner air.
    Also good for river crossings and dusty convoy situations
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    great job chimp. very neat.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted a safari snorkel about a month or so ago . I drilled out the large hole the same way . I did not remove the aerial or the blinker and I had no difficulty fitting it with them in .