Thread: rd28 starting problems

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy rd28 starting problems

hi guys, hoping someone can help me here this is my first time on this forum. i have a 98 gu 2.8ltr turbo intercooled patrol.A few days ago my patrol decided to get hot( i know the reason for this) since then it has been a pig to start when its cold at night or first time in the morning. A lot of blue grey smoke spews from it when it finaly does start. I installed new glow plugs as the others where old and i thought maybe that would fix the problem but to no avail. Since this has happened i have notice a leak from the diesel pump as well. Could it be the deisel pump causing this or another issue. Once it starts it runs fine and when still warm its starts first go. Anyone got any ideas to help me out thanx. Geoff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff,

You may have other problems, but here are some tips that work for me:

When starting, use the airbag light as your glow plug timer. Crank the engine when the airbag light goes out.

If you do this and it still takes multiple cranks, check the priming pump under the bonnet (it's on top of the fuel filter, near drivers side).

The pump works by pushing the black piece down and up. If it is squishy, and therefore is pumping fuel, keep doing that until it goes firm. (then investigate why your fuel pressure is dropping)

If it is already firm, no need to do anything further.

Try that, report back.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not 100% but is there a fuel pump mod for this motor?.
    check Nizzbits as I sent a part to a UK member but not sure if same motor
    Check and change fuel filter and fuel lines
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for the tip but it has only done about 8000k since i put a new filter and ran injector cleaner thru the system but i am wondering if it is the diesel pump, as it has a leak in it which has only started since my engine got hot. As i said in my first thread it starts well once its warm so im thinking pump maybe or the electrical side to the glow plugs. Thanx again.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanx for the tip i will let u know if it works , im either thinking diesel injector pump or electrical to the glow plugs

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi i looked at that and the primer is a hard piece of plastic with a screw in it on top of where the fuel filter sits. I have pumped the accelerator a bit and it still takes multiple cranks and still blows a heap of white smoke when it starts , but to say that it does start without flattening the battery now i will investigate it further.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injector problem

My problem may be related. I have an RD28 GU patrol, it will fire up ok but it runs rough when cold and one of the injector is noisy for about a minute after startup. Ive loosed off all the injector lines from the pump and retightened them to try and stop any pressure drop or air getting into the lines overnight, but still having issue. It there gaskets or seals that i need to replace in the injector lines to ensure they hold their pressure?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is an advance plate which can sometimes cause issues. The ferret in the vendors thread can help with these.

As for the original post. If its only started doing it after getting hot I would be inclined to suspect the head. The 2.8 are known for head issues.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey geoff. Did u solve this problem. I have also just bought a gu with an rd28 and have the exact same problem. Need ur help and advice??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check glo plugs are all working, if it got very hot you may have blown the head gasket, this could cause the white smoke on start up as well as faulty glow plugs, hot start issue doesn't look like the problem as it starts when warm so I wouldn't buy the advance plate just yet.
    Is there any loss of water ?
    Cheers, the ferret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast