The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just a heads up if your thinking of buying a Eonon head unit

So I have had this G2227 Eonon double din head unit since I bought the car. Nearly 12 months. From day one the radio reception was shite and the UI was buggy, at the best of times. As of late it started to go hay wire.

• Three of the touch screen buttons on the radio screen are now all blurred out and I can't use those buttons,

• the GPS has stopped working, the time will change itself whenever it feels like,
    • the volume control on the touch screen will sometimes change the radio frequency instead of volume,
    • the illuminated buttons below the screen no longer work
    • I can't listen to tune via BT
    • making and receiving phone calls via BT is getting worse by the day.
    • The flip screen will flip out all by itself sometimes
    • There is more but I'm sure.
    • Radio reception poorer than my late grandfathers Radiola Grand. (always had this issue since day dot)

So. Yesty I removed the unit to finally install the GPS tracking system. I needed to pick up a power and earth wire so I though to pick it up from the wires that feed into the stereo.
    To my astonishment I found that the earth wire on the loom which is supplied with the head unit by Eonon was in the wrong socket in the plug so the unit had not earthing what so ever so it was installed.
    Now I'm no auto sparky so having no earth connection may not matter but I am wondering if this was the root of all the evil this cheap chit has given. The only earth this may have got was from the body of the unit when it was screwed into the mount.

Now I need to buy another cheap chinese crappy unit. Still more than 15hunge less than a branded unit.
    So just a heads up for anyone who has bought one or thinking of buying one to check if the plugs are wired correctly.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

LaughingBeagles (2nd January 2016), Robo (17th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you tried to put the earth in the right hole and see if it fixes your problems? Or is it FUBAR?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Have you tried to put the earth in the right hole and see if it fixes your problems? Or is it FUBAR?
    Fixed the earth issue, and the unit is FUBAR.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark SSV is having a sale on saturday night 6 - 10pm with upto 70% off, i usually get 5 to 10% above cost when i go in. But a proper head unit will cost you around the 2 gorilla mark. I would splash out a bit and get quality ( if you can afford it ) i was stung once with a cheap head unit and vowed never again!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alitis007 For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (28th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Eonon unit I installed when I first got my car lasted a full week, only stayed in that long because it took a week to get a decent unit.

I'm pretty sure the Eonon unit I purchased as new was actually one that had been returned, supposedly fixed, and then sold as a new unit.

Without going into details, most things on the unit didn't work correctly, and what did work was very crap, like the sound quality.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app
    2012 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD. Alloy bull bar, HID spotties, Pioneer GPS/CD/DVD head unit, Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, Autometer Boost and Pyro gauges.

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do, kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonicus For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (28th June 2013), Robo (17th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit I just bought 1 for the troll and it was crap, in the process of sending it back as well. 1st 1 I bought still runs like a dream

Tap, Tap, Taparoo
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (28th June 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    Mark SSV is having a sale on saturday night 6 - 10pm with upto 70% off, i usually get 5 to 10% above cost when i go in. But a proper head unit will cost you around the 2 gorilla mark. I would splash out a bit and get quality ( if you can afford it ) i was stung once with a cheap head unit and vowed never again!
    I see where your coming from George but I seriously don't see the value in a 2k stereo. I don't listen to music loud, I don't need/ want an amp, sub woofer and expensive speakers in my car. Thats just extra stuff on show for people to want to break in and steal it. I just want a working cheap ass chinese crap unit with inbuilt GPS and working BT and radio. I don't even own CD's anymore so. Hehe. I know I can't have best of both worlds though.
    Might have to look around for a branded second hand unit.

Who's SSV too btw? Plus I am heading up to the high country early tomorrow for the weekend...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as you Mudski, even though most of my maps are on the Ipad and Iphone, having another in dash lets me run extra maps as we all know that various map providers take yonks to update them
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post

Who's SSV too btw? Plus I am heading up to the high country early tomorrow for the weekend...
    SSV are http://www.streetsoundvision.com.au/
    Unfortunately George is right. I know a few people with Eonon units with exact same symptoms as stated above. And like some things, you get what you pay for. A $2000 Pioneer unit for example that came in our work Hi-aces wipes the floor with any of these cheap china 2-din units in terms of performance, screen clarity etc... But, I repeat they are $2k!

I'm like you mudski, I don't want a pumping stereo with super-dooper sound. Just something that actually works and simply plays mp3's and radio and has working GPS.
    I got shafted with a Polaris unit. I purely bought it because it was heavily advertised throughout 4wd action dvd's. Unfortunately it turned out absolutely crap. Slow, unresponsive, kept having to reset the unit in order for the GPS to pick up. Yeah the hema maps and ozi explorer were good, but it running in a below average powered unit made it not smooth etc... Mind you that unit was about $1k. Sent it back, got another one sent to me, and same story.
    CPU and memory in those units are just very very low grade and when loaded up with maps etc it just cannot cope. Absolute waste of money.
    I'm in the market for another unit now in my Patrol and just cannot decide, do I get an all-in-one unit or simply leave the headunit in there and get a portable ozi explorer unit. Decisions.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I see where your coming from George but I seriously don't see the value in a 2k stereo. I don't listen to music loud, I don't need/ want an amp, sub woofer and expensive speakers in my car. Thats just extra stuff on show for people to want to break in and steal it. I just want a working cheap ass chinese crap unit with inbuilt GPS and working BT and radio. I don't even own CD's anymore so. Hehe. I know I can't have best of both worlds though.
    Might have to look around for a branded second hand unit.

I listen to some music loud, i some times turn the radio off, i also spent a months wages on a head unit and 4 speakers, why?? Coz they work any and every time for a long time! My GPS has 95% of paved and gravel roads (the other 5% are new estates but i have 3 years of mapping updates for free), its accurate to the meter, my bluetooth connects every time and i can be heard clearly providing i don't have my sunroof open because the mic placement. The speakers i bought don't need an amp or subwoofer to be clean, crisp and punchy ( mind you the next ones up are worth 2k a pair).

I'm getting off track here but after being burnt with a cheap no namer i happily pay extra for everything to do its job, not just for now but to last me atleast 5 years. Thats the method to my madness lol but things are cheap for a reason, they use old tech that has stopped being used for a reason. One last thing i had a Pioneer double DIN unit thats was in the medium price range for 1 day then removed it for my current Alpine and mate the difference in sound and picture quality was unbelievable!!

Anyway its your choice mate thats my 2cw.....

SSV = Street Sound and Vision on settlement rd in Thomastown, they also have a store in Keilor.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alitis007 For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (1st July 2013), mudski (28th June 2013)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast