Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZD30 DI boost with nads

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did the same 3d I set it up as chaz. so what I will do is take mudski advice and adjust needle as pretty happy where max boost is. so to lower boost with needle do I turn it anti clockwise and how much. eg. 1/4 turns or full turns.
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With the needle valve closed ,idle engine and slowly open needle valve watching turbo, as soon as the actuator arm begins to move[fall away]
    nip up lock screw on needle valve. as per Chazs' directions. I seriously cannot fault mine ATM, in a nut shell its flying. I get 12.8 around town BTW.
    Not bad for a 4x4 with 200k on it, it drives like a new one imo. I'm very happy

Not everyone has the needle valve fitted.
    Which ever way you turn it do it in 1/2 turn sectors remembering which way you went.
    From what youre saying I would screw needle valve in 1/2 turn like closing it off and see what happens.
    You should restrict turbo spool up rate, IMO I cant see how it changes boost
    Last edited by threedogs; 28th June 2013 at 10:48 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Just on the topis of needle valve and dawes does anyone have someone they recomend for doing this on the south side of brissy.I will need to put the gaiges in all so probably the pillar pod set up. Whats the cost approx for this. This is our first fourby so pretty new to this sort of thin. I have a chip and exhaust fiited already and know i need the gauges. Any info is much appreciated. Cheers.

If someone down my way is open to offers of beer and cash to help me install this is also an option.
    2008 GU WAGON , ARB DELUXE BULL BAR, CHIP AND 3" EXHAUST,SPOTTIES,ROOF RACK,SIDE AWNING

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Give nissanewby a pm he may be able to help if not point you in the right direction

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Choicebro (28th June 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't fault mine either 3d but reading a lot of post most are running 10psi down the hwy. I did set it up to chaz's instructions. I will try what you said and close needle valve to see if it will drop boost.
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,331 Times in 6,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    With the needle valve closed ,idle engine and slowly open needle valve watching turbo, as soon as the actuator arm begins to move[fall away]
    nip up lock screw on needle valve. as per Chazs' directions. I seriously cannot fault mine ATM, in a nut shell its flying. I get 12.8 around town BTW.
    Not bad for a 4x4 with 200k on it, it drives like a new one imo. I'm very happy

Not everyone has the needle valve fitted.
    Which ever way you turn it do it in 1/2 turn sectors remembering which way you went.
    From what youre saying I would screw needle valve in 1/2 turn like closing it off and see what happens.
    You should restrict turbo spool up rate, IMO I cant see how it changes boost
    It technically doesn't change the boost, as the dawes does this but whilst cruising at a constant rpm adjusting the needle valve will, in a way, change the current boost level at that range by opening or closing the VNT slightly.
    I will never doubt the knowledge of others and Chaz, but to my own findings on what I did last week, I have proven to myself for this to be right, as I had 12psi at 100k's, max boost set at 15spi. All I did was open the needle valve more and my boost at 100k's went down to 10psi. Like I said I will never doubt others, TD and Chaz have a lot more knowledge than me but my findings don't lie. I am happy to be told I am incorrect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

threedogs (28th June 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all i can do is a play with it. I try with the needle valve first. if I get it wrong I will set it back up like I did in the first place. [chaz link] at least with these posts I have more understanding of how dawes/needle valve operate. i'll keep you all posted on the outcome thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to june For This Useful Post:

threedogs (29th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You may now need to fine tune it a bit more. As you said if your happy with the way it performs,
    you can return to those settings. I just kept putting boost in till it limped, then realised my leaking IC
    couldn't be helping, more boost more leaking. After fitting new welded IC I needed to remove boost to
    the point where I had no limp. At the stage now where I feel it can't get any better.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried mudski idea by opening needle half a turn and it did do what he said. ended up with 10psi boost down hwy .egt went down approx 5 to 10 degrees [hard to say as gauge is digital] . still not sure if I should leave it like this or go back to the chaz method. maybe when I did it chazs way I locked needle valve off too early when watching arm on turbo move.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ended up starting all over using chaz instructions and I did lock off needle too early. I took note where valve was locked off originally and was out half a turn to its new position. this has got it 10 psi @ 100k's and max boost is 15psi. mudski idea was right. it is a fine line in setting needle valve especially when i'm half blind. thanks guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast