Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The increasing loss of free camps

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree cuppa, you can't sit idly by and watch things get taken away by people pushing their own agenda because once it done there's no changing it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Cuppa I have taken a while to read and digest your posts and those of our fellows.
    I am not at all surprised by the attitude of the RV mob that are lobbying for their exclusivity.
    We wanted to camp on the Calliope River in QLD a few years back, all the spots on the road by the river were taken by wheeled camps of all sorts, not a single tent.
    And all of these ass wipes had black corrugated waste hoses running from their abode down the river bank toward the river, we were thoroughly disgusted by the ignorant so and so's.
    What was incredible were the number of association stickers on the back of their vehicles.
    I have a low tolerance for those type of people and they are probably all supporting the exclusive access you were talking about.
    Yes we leave our waste water behind when camping, but put it round the base of a tree if possible, give a little back if I can....
    And dig a hole for #2's burn the paper the back fill the hole when no WC is available.
    NZ is getting tougher, Dad said the Department of Conservation over there is making it harder. I'm not sure of the time frame but have heard all NZ Wicked, Jucy type vans have to carry a porta pot.
    Our neighbour has a RV, he can not understand why I go off road with such an expensive vehicle as the Patrol. He loves the heard aspect of their gathering / conventions, I love the isolation.......
    Cheers
    Macca

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (23rd June 2013), JoeG (23rd June 2013), MudRunnerTD (24th June 2013), NissanGQ4.2 (23rd June 2013), NP99 (24th June 2013), Sir Roofy (24th June 2013), Woof (23rd June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    came across this a wile back. Could be useful.

TAKE NOTICE
    My vehicle/trailer is roadworthy and registered.
    Its current location complies with road traffic rules and regulations. At present I am resting for personal reasons. I am not able to and do not wish to move or travel any further. I will proceed when I am able and it is safe to do so. Legal reasons and my insurance company require me to obtain the following information from you.
    Title, Surname, Given name, Address, Phone No.

Authorised by, Authority name, Authority address, Authority phone

I hereby declare that the above information supplied is true and correct and that I am ordering vehicle registration No. …………… make ………….
    Model …………….. Trailer ……………………to move from its current location. In so doing I take personal responsibility for the safety of said vehicle, its occupants and other road users that may be affected by its further progress.

Signed ………………………………….. Date …………….. Time ……………..
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

6. The Following User Says Thank You to janderson For This Useful Post:

JoeG (23rd June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Macca,
    To be fair, we shouldn't tar all rv'ers with the same brush ........ After all I am one!
    There are folks who travel in RV's who do the right thing as well as those who don't.
    There are the types who upon arrival in an almost empty 20 acre campground will come & set up just a few metres from our camp, as well as those like us who would find a spot as far away as possible.

There are places where digging & burning & watering trees worked well for decades, but are now subjected to such heavy use thanks to the boom in 'grey nomad'ing' & being 'advertised' in the likes of Camps Australia Wide & WikiCamps that the over use problem is a difficult one to deal with.
    My view is that the solution should be a mixture of 'educating' people that 'traditional' practices in areas of very heavy usage are no longer sustainable, & lobbying for toilet & rubbish facilities to be provided, and to view 'over use' as evidence for the need for more camp spots, not for closures & restrictions to a few.

A striking example is the difference between the Stuart Highway & the Nullarbor. Both long remote lengths of bitumen. Drive across the Nullarbor & you will find plenty of places to pull off the highway for the night, all 'decorated' with the dunny streamers, people's piles & used nappies. As people have driven further & further off the highway to get away from others, & the mess, the mess has simply been extended. In contrast the Stuart Highway is relatively clean. The difference being that the Stuart is serviced. There are toilets & water tanks along the way. Crews in trucks go up & down the highway regularly to refill tanks & clean toilets. Yes maybe there could be more toilets & more crews, but in comparison to the Nullarbor where there are none the difference is quite noticeable.

There are unfortunately grubs from all walks of life. Having a self contained vehicle says nothing about the person who owns it. We arrived at the Big Horse Creek camp spot a bit off the highway at the Gregory National Park & were waiting patiently for a large Winnebago type motorhome who were packing up to vacate their spot so we could set up. They knew we were waiting, but we placed no pressure on them, instead we went for a walk along the river & enjoyed seeing an eagle catching a fish. They were just pulling out as we got back to our bus. The stench was overpowering, they had dumped the entire contents of their grey water tank just before leaving, days worth, gallons & gallons of it right where they had camped & knew we were going to camp. They waved as they drove off, the last dregs still dripping from their waste pipe.
    I didn't notice, but it's quite possible they had a LNT scheme sticker in their window. There are plenty of folks who say one thing yet do another. These folks should be made to stay in'policed' self contained/LNT camps, but not at the expense of folks who do the right thing.

We don't have an onboard shower in our bus, & generate very little grey water as we are always in 'water conservation mode'. What some folks would use in 2 or 3 days lasts us for two weeks. If we fill a 9 litre bucket during an overnight stay we have been very extravagant. Like you we water a tree, (& use low phosphate washing up liquid). If we are in a heavily used area, this usually involves a long walk with the bucket to ensure we don't contribute to making a a boggy mess for the next person, & that the flora in the immediate vicinity isn't over watered. We do have a portapotti, but frequently use dig & burn where appropriate.
    Our Patrol has similar water capacity, but no portapotti. Instead we have a dunny seat on a frame & a supply of compostable bags suitable for disposal in septic systems & long drops (or burying of course). One of Andy's tyre bags provides somewhere for short term storage.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 23rd June 2013 at 09:25 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (23rd June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hi Macca,
    To be fair, we shouldn't tar all rv'ers with the same brush ........ After all I am one!
    Cuppa
    Too right mate, just that day they had a 100% waste contribution toward the river!!!!
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've seen that too. Just ignorant & thoughtless. Have never been to Calliope River, but it regularly gets a mention as a great spot which is abused by folks doing the wrong thing, including those who ignore the 48 hour time limit & stay for weeks at a time.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand not to tar with the same brush but simialr things are occurring here in WA regarding the "Exclusive RV'ers" - Dwellingup is a prime example as the current Baden Powell camp ground is being closed to camping and to be used as day use only, as DEC have just built a new, smaller Baden Powell campground mainly for RV's, nil campfires allowed etc.

I can't afford a camper at this stage so we are limited to tents and avoid CP's were possible as the whole nature of most RV'ers (not all) here is of utter contempt if you dont have an RV with 2 flatscreens, 6 burner stove and oven etc (exagerated a bit I know but the contempt part isn't) and spread out covering 3-4 bays.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yes, I've seen that too. Just ignorant & thoughtless. Have never been to Calliope River, but it regularly gets a mention as a great spot which is abused by folks doing the wrong thing, including those who ignore the 48 hour time limit & stay for weeks at a time.

Cuppa
    Why have a 48hr time limit if its not going to be enforced?
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado θ tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a read of the OP here, not having a go at RV only it includes all of us who like to camp.
    We are on here and talk about it, so many don't realise the result of their actions. They will drive past a place in years to come and wonder why that place they camped is now closed.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/...ng_Issues.aspx
    Cheers
    Macca

14. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (24th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people will go out of their way to get their own selfish way, with little or any thought of how their 'lifestyle' affects others.

I've been going to a free camping spot reasonably frequently and almost call it my holiday 'home'. I'm almost self sufficient, but there are drop dunnies and a couple of table and chairs under shelter, provided.

The problem is that it is becoming more popular, and because of its popularity, some inconsiderate people set up their campsites a week or so before they actually camp there, so no one else can take their spot. It's in an area where you're not supposed to cut down trees, collect firewood, etc, and camp fires are not permitted for about 5 months of the year. The problem last Christmas was that the trees that overhang the sandy track to this 'holiday destination' were cut back by vandals to allow caravans access. The people that did this disgust me.

I'm 54 years old in July (lol) and I've noticed that over the past few years, as I've grown older, that many people of various ages have become very set in their ways, and flexibility isn't part of their vocabulary and/or lifestyle, and demand a 'my way or the highway attitude'. The reason these people always have and always will get their own way is simple......they persevere until they wear you into submission.

My wife and I are considering getting a van in a few years and 'nomad' it until we meet our maker. We will also be keeping our annex for our troll, so we can camp.

There is enough land in Australia to accommodate RV's, motor homes and campers. There needs to be a balance. Many small country towns over in WA are promoting themselves as 'RV friendly' and provide the services to accommodate this lifestyle.

IMHO, all tourists town should also accommodate for the camping family. The survival of many of these smaller towns depend on the tourist dollar. Who's likely to spend more, a camping family of 4-5, or a couple in a van/RV? I don't know. That's why everybody should be accommodated.

In most cases, I'm not a fan of staying at caravan parks. For a non powered site, many charge the same for one person as they do for two. I don't mind paying a 'reasonable price' for a non powered site, but I hate being ripped off. To the credit of a lot of caravan park owners, they do cater for campers and the camp kitchen and other facilities are brilliant, and they charge 'reasonable' prices for a non powered site.

I've been known to pick up other peoples' rubbish, too. I find the best thing to use is BBQ tongs. It's not that hard to take your rubbish with you, is it?

I like my creature comforts too, but I can have a decent shower with 4-5 litres of water when I'm out camping. Using a 9 litre bucket, is a luxury, and probably over kill. Let's face it, if you go to the beach and go swimming, you don't need a 10 minute shower to get all that sand off you.

I hate the religious campers who get all huffy and puffy if somebody takes their camp spot. "But we camp in this spot every year". Get over it and toughen up. Find another spot!"

Kids need the outdoor experience. This is how they learn and gain some of life's skills. They need to learn that there is more to milk than coming out of a carton, and their woolen jumper wasn't made in the shop. So much can be learnt from the camping experience.

In summing up. They minority will always win if they persevere to the point of wearing you down into submission. It is easier to say "yes" rather than "no". Is this what you really want?

Australia is a very seasonal continent and there is enough room to accommodate everybody at different times of the year. Wake up Australia!!!!

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (24th June 2013)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast