Thread: Plastic crates (Fish crates)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,435 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastic crates (Fish crates)

Does anyone here have any association with the fishing industry or the plastics industry?

I'm chasing a couple of durable plastic crates to slide into the space under my pod for storing tools & recovery gear. My search on the net turned up these 'Fillet crates', which are an ideal size & should be pretty durable being made of HDPE.

Measurements are 600mm L x 400mm W x 125mm H

http://www.bcsplastics.com.au/plasti...ucts/1311.html

I contacted the suppliers who basically told me if wanted a container load of them they could supply them, but as I only need two -"sorry no can do".

Not fussed if they are new or used.

I have found one alternative, 'tote boxes' made of polypropylene of similar dimensions, but feel because the plastic is 'harder' it will be less durable over time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe one of these might suffice Cuppa

https://www.blackwoods.com.au/search...89?pageSize=20

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob, good find. I got real excited for a moment, but unfortunately they are 200mm high & my max height is only 140mm, otherwise they would've been perfect.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also as plastic fabrication shops to grab them to your needs but is pricy. Think stainless steel prices.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca86 View Post
    You could also as plastic fabrication shops to grab them to your needs but is pricy. Think stainless steel prices.
    Thanks, but Gulp! That's probably going a bit overboard I reckon.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have continued chasing them, found a manufacturer this side of Melbourne who would only supply to the trade. When asked if they supplied anyone in the Latrobe Valley they said "Yes, Bunnings!". Contacted Bunnings & spent a while on the phone with an employee who didn't know the difference between millimetres & centimetres to eventually learn that they didn't have what I wanted...... but could make a special order at no extra cost! After she cut me off, not knowing how to transfer me to the 'special orders dept' I rang back & am now awaiting a call back with a price tomorrow.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not make it out of wood and keeps the cost down
    what about this mob
    http://www.blackwoods.com.au/search/...045/4294205038
    Last edited by my third 256; 19th February 2013 at 08:11 AM.
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MT,
    I'm hoping plastic will keep the weight down a bit, could make from wood, but the weight increases with the required sturdiness. Also with such a limited height (140mm) every millimetre is worth keeping, & wood would end up 'using' more than the plastic. The Blackwood link was a good thought, but they are too tall to fit my space. The crates I am now looking at getting also make better use of space than the stackable fillet crates.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa you could use the ones Bob sugested and run around them with a circular saw. Lost the strength of the top lip but fit more in and lighter.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Plastic crates (Fish crates)

Could you fit runners under your pod and make some slide out draws? Probably lose a bit of height but would gain ease of use?

FanTapstic!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast