Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone had this happen before?

Hi guys

Had a bit of oil coming out of a pipe near the turbo and had a mate take a look for me. Whilst having a look he discovered one of the bolts holding the alternator in place had sheared off and in doing so sent the belt attached about on inch backward.. not cool.
    Took the intercooler shroud and fan off to try and get to the tensioner but it wouldnt budge... Whether he knew what he was doing I dont know, you guys might have more ideas on that but he seemed to think it should spring out to allow us to remove the belt or loosen it at worse to sort out the alternater bolt... No luck couldnt budge it..
    Im wondering what you guys think.... Im thinking buy and new pulley/ tensioner kit, cut the belt, fix the bolt then fit he new kit fit new belt and off we go.... Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 TI Patrol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking at your pics I'd be removing the alternator first, and seeing what damage if any that broken bolt has done.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Looking at your pics I'd be removing the alternator first, and seeing what damage if any that broken bolt has done.
    thanks.... would there be any tell tale signs to look for in regards to the damage.... not terribly mechanical minded but like to try and work things out
    2007 TI Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if your going to replace the belt anyway then you have to take the shroud and what not off regardless. If that is the case there is No Point cutting what could be a perfectly good belt? certainly fit a new one but if you can strip it down to remove that belt then put it in your rear quarter panel as a spare you may never need

Certainly it looks like someone tightened that bolt and sheared it and its knackered.

Take it off and check its function and have a good look at everything then refit a new belt.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    if your going to replace the belt anyway then you have to take the shroud and what not off regardless. If that is the case there is No Point cutting what could be a perfectly good belt? certainly fit a new one but if you can strip it down to remove that belt then put it in your rear quarter panel as a spare you may never need

Certainly it looks like someone tightened that bolt and sheared it and its knackered.

Take it off and check its function and have a good look at everything then refit a new belt.
    Good advice.... the only problem is getting the belt tensioner to budge... it may sound silly but we tried everything to loosen it but just couldnt... without being able to loosen this I cant get the belt off without destroying it... I might be missing something but it just wont move for some reason..Is there an actual bolt you have to loosen to enable it to move..... I didnt see exactly see what they did prior to trying to move it... they seemed to think it was a spring type action and simply pushing the tensioner in one direction or the other would loosen the belt sufficiently to be able to remove it.
    2007 TI Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Do you have a manual to look at, I believe there is a tensioner for the belt, Avoid cutting belt if Poss as MR has suggested.
    Keep removing a few things to get a clear view of how things work.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

lagoonboy (12th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know is there not another bolt either on the top or side that you have to undo so it can move freely. It could also be locked up on the one the has sheared by the looks of the angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Live life, Love life.
    Snatch straps on towballs can harm and/or kill!!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to krbrooking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tensioner should move, certainly enough for you to remove the belt off all the pulley wheels, you have to get at the tensioner from underneath, it all can be done without removing the shroud but its tricky, it is best to remove the shroud completely so you can see what your doing, to get the alternator out you have to remove some of the pipes out of the way up top, (plus aux battery if fitted) unless you have little tiny hands, I don't, that tensioner should move easily, if it doesn't it is probably seized & needs replacing anyway, inspect the bolt as sometimes they fit a shorter bolt but it is not long enough to allow the tensioner to move freely, throw a new belt on but buy an original one from Nissan, keep the other in your truck for a spare, to tell an original from aftermarket the original will have V grooves in the belt & aftermarket have solid square grooves, the difference is the original will allow crap, water, silty muddy water to disperse from itself & the aftermarket will not, often doing water crossings the belt will squeal like a pig, the original will quiten down quicker & stay quite, aftermarket will squeal for ages & usually every morning for weeks until it has defecated the crap out of the grooves
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my workshop manual states to remove belt remove lower fan shroud. place a spanner on tensioner bolt and rotate anticlockwise. then remove belt. get a workshop manual like 3d said, they are very handy when things go wrong.
    3lt GU 111 Wagon 2 inch lift,3in Taipan exhaust, cross country intercooler,catch can,EGR blocked, dawes and needle valve,Pyro/boost gauge ARB lockers,steinbaurer chip, long range tank, s/s water tank, draws, warn winch, and other stuff.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to june For This Useful Post:

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies...I will let you know how I go..
    2007 TI Patrol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast