OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if a bearing needs replacing - Help.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to tell if a bearing needs replacing - Help.

I'm having a second look at my front wheel bearings, & this time
    decided to repack them rather than just adjust the pre-load.
    Problem is I have now just removed the outer bearing from the driver
    side, cleaned it up, but really have no idea if it's knackered & in
    need of replacement, or whether it's ok for repacking & replacing. I
    am reluctant to go further & remove the inner bearing at the moment,
    because if I need to renew the bearings, I'll just have to repack this
    one & put it back in in order to drive somewhere to get new bearings.

There is no pitting or blue-ing of the rollers that I can see, but if
    I hold the inner and outer parts of the cage I can move them from side
    to side by a couple of millimetres. Obviously the preload will take up
    this play, but how much is too much? See video below.

When preload was adjusted on the wheel there was no play. When I
    removed the locking ring ( I didn't do this last time) things did seem
    a bit dry with metal dust mixed with the grease that was there. This
    appears to have come from the hub body where the spacer sits. (I'm not certain that it was like this when i did the adjustment a few days ago. Have driven around 70kms since then. Hubs were not getting hot - I checked). BTW this is not the hub that had the spacer in need of linishing.

Thanks,
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have you got a pic of the Race Cuppa, i generally am guided by the race mate.

and a face pic of the rollers please
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will get back to you shortly MR, thanks.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Were they making a noise or feel gritty turning wheel by hand ?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, back again ...... bloody difficult to get detailed close up shots, but have done my best.
    First a couple of the rollers - both of the same bearing.

Harder still to get meaningful shots of the race in situ, hope you can see where I was shining the torch.

And no TD they were not making a noise, nor did they feel gritty.

My guess is that they are OK, but I lack the experience to feel confident.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    looks pretty good to me mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    looks pretty good to me mate
    That's what I wanted to hear, Ta.
    So what about the 'wear' on the hub body? Could this have been caused by over tightening of the pre-load (even though it didn't get hot)? And just to be sure, the pic below does show the correct order that things go back in....doesn't it?

I have a awful feeling that when I put it back together last time that I put the pre load 'nut' inside the bush & the locking plate outside it & that this may be what has resulted in the wear on the hub body, as when removing it this time I was able to remove the locking plate just by undoing the two small screws, and unscrewing the pre load nut then pushed out the bush.

Cuppa
    Attached Images Attached Images

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes assuming that the bush 4th from the left is the lipped bush then you are missing the "Egg Ring" bush out of that pic which is the sam size but without the lip and is about 15mm wide

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3rd from the left sits into the lip of that ring but that ring is resting on a ring the same size (a spacer) behind it that is likely still in your housing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at that last pic there is a gouging in that hub. bugger it. the "Egg Ring" i am talking about should be sitting in there but it looks like it is not. It is a spacer between that Bearing race and the lipped ring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast