Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are they worth? Garrett turbos

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You won't get 200rwkw out of 2863 nicely its outside the compressors efficiency range.

The 2863 is nicely suited to the 11mm pump and you will easily get 120-130rwkw out of that pump. 150 is possible but you will be ringing the pumps neck.

There's a little bit involved in getting 200rwkw out of a TD its not as easy as diesel smart is making it sound.

As for the crank differences, this is unlikely, the main difference was in the pistons etc to gain response out of the NA motors. The horsepower isn't what kills the cranks it's torque and above 180rwkw you can be at risk (operator input can effect this also) of mechanical breakages.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Thats likely not something I could do myself?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!
    Not with what you did with your glow plugs lol. It may be cheaper to buy through them and get someone to build it for you. I'm sure someone down there could help with remove and install of the turbo.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselSmart View Post
    hey mud, in regards to your question...

you also need to do a diesel pump upgrade if you are looking at running a bigger turbo such as this, as winnie already has his done it's a bonus for him. the standard pumps can bring you up to about 110-125 depending on your turbo/exhaust after that your sort of pushing it...

It also depends on the year of your truck, they had good motors up until about 96... then from 96-03 they put weaker components in them so the cranks wont live at that sort of power... winnies being a 93 model will handle the 180-200 no problems at all. that being said, most people are happy with around 150 because they want to be super safe..

if you already have an aftermarket turbo your manifold will have the t3 flange already. if you have the standard garret turbo then you will need to buy an adaptor plate along with some different oil feed lines, intercooler pipework and water lines as they will mount up slightly different.

you will also need an intercooler if you don't have one already..

If only it was as simple as purchasing a bigger turbo, we would be working 20 hours a day trying to keep up demand on supply of turbos hahah

Thanks mate

Yeah mine is a 1992 TD42 running an aftermarket MTQ turbo and 3" straight through from MTQ too.

I run a 600hp frozen boost water to air intercooler and a stock pump.

Probably a pipe dream right now but I like this thread allot.

Thanks for your input.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh he could save a few bucks if he got someone to build it... I can do the turbo without the exhaust housing for 1480 + freight but by the the time he pays for labor for someone to pull off his old turbo and swap the rear housing over he may end up paying around the same sort of money.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's another idea I've been thinking of... Get the intercooler first then put the boost back up to around 25psi with a good tune and drive it like that for a while?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Here's another idea I've been thinking of... Get the intercooler first then put the boost back up to around 25psi with a good tune and drive it like that for a while?

That'd work mate. That Tune is SHYT
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that will be the more cost efficient solution for now.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, if you are half handy with a spanner, just buy a GT2863 without the exhaust housing.
    Swap the core over using your exhaust housing. It will be a straight swap.
    The tune will not be that far out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All he needs to do is have somewhere to work on the car with some tools and it will get done, no matter which way he chooses

Thanks
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say I'm quarter handy with a spanner haha. I've read some of your posts in that thread on the other forum about the GTX2863 mate and sounds like you know your business so good to hear from you here.
    What could I realistically look at getting for my current turbo?

I am close to buying the Cross Country intercooler kit, I reckon get that on and tune it up again and it would be happy days until I can get a new turbo?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast