OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5$ Battery Terminal Crimper with professional results.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Ben, what you have is a quick fix that gets you moving and I reckon you have done a great job. The black cable looks like the lug is too big for the cables and may well have caught a good number of cores. Loose cores are an issue and the others will probably work loose. That causes heat and failure. I'm a sparky so I am fussy with electricity as I have seen fails, most are not pretty. So my suggestion would be to visit someone with a hex crimped and finish th job properly, crimp over what you have already done. Good quick fix though.
    Cheers
    Macca

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I'm with Ben, what you have is a quick fix that gets you moving and I reckon you have done a great job. The black cable looks like the lug is too big for the cables and may well have caught a good number of cores. Loose cores are an issue and the others will probably work loose. That causes heat and failure. I'm a sparky so I am fussy with electricity as I have seen fails, most are not pretty. So my suggestion would be to visit someone with a hex crimped and finish th job properly, crimp over what you have already done. Good quick fix though.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree, simply because I copied the jaws/dies from my mate that is a auto sparky. Funny enough he came around with his brother who is a sparky. My auto spark mate reckons brilliant idea because its small and can put terminals on cables in place with spanner and socket. Even myself I spend the half of my time fixing electronics building pc's.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt_dr3ams View Post
    What i mean by professional results as in how it splays the cable internaly and locks it. With the terminal locked in the vice pulling with all my force cable didn't move.
    Yes it may grip the cores now but under an extended time of vibration the cores will move inside the lug then you can have as macca has already stated loose cores which will give you grief in time.
    I am also a sparkie and the majority of my work is in quarries, with vibrating screens, vibrating feeders and large crushers. The majority of electrical failure is directly caused by vibration. I understand that this is a completly different situation, but vibration is vibration and once it has done its thing it will cause problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I understand its a DIY quick fix and a really good one,
    That black crimp is doomed to fail in my experience but will get you moving which is what you want and crimpers are bulky things so getting a lug on a cable to get you home the idea is perfect and practical.
    The red crimp looks nearly as if it was done in one of my crimpers, that one only goes up to 16mm over that size the crimpers are hex crimps and are 600mm long so totally impractical for confined space or to carry just in case LOL.
    Your idea is a great addition to the tool box with 2 or 3 lugs your laughing.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to respectfully disagree, simply because I copied the jaws/dies from my mate that is a auto sparky. Funny enough he came around with his brother who is a sparky. My auto spark mate reckons brilliant idea because its small and can put terminals on cables in place with spanner and socket. Even myself I spend the half of my time fixing electronics building pc's.
    I am not disputing that its a bad idea I think the die should be redesigned to replicate a die from a hydraulic crimper to get a better crimping surface area.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Fair enough, I understand its a DIY quick fix and a really good one,
    That black crimp is doomed to fail in my experience but will get you moving which is what you want and crimpers are bulky things so getting a lug on a cable to get you home the idea is perfect and practical.
    The red crimp looks nearly as if it was done in one of my crimpers, that one only goes up to 16mm over that size the crimpers are hex crimps and are 600mm long so totally impractical for confined space or to carry just in case LOL.
    Your idea is a great addition to the tool box with 2 or 3 lugs your laughing.
    Thats where the hydraulic crimpers that cuppa posted come in handy, they have saved me when reterminating motors in not so accessable places
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    Yes it may grip the cores now but under an extended time of vibration the cores will move inside the lug then you can have as macca has already stated loose cores which will give you grief in time.
    I am also a sparkie and the majority of my work is in quarries, with vibrating screens, vibrating feeders and large crushers. The majority of electrical failure is directly caused by vibration. I understand that this is a completly different situation, but vibration is vibration and once it has done its thing it will cause problems.
    You both are 240 sparkys, we are talking two complety different cored wires.

Okay if we want to play this game and turn a simple task into rocket science so that people that are reading this that want to have a go at doing there own things get scared into thinking that these things are not possible at home. My makita impact driver is rated to 145nm of torque, now that force is going to change because the each thread takes a percentage of total force. I will have more time later to go right into depth, I stand behind my work . If your happy to sit back on your keyboard with a low res foto and come up with a professional opinion without even touching the cable or seeing how much force those little jaws have great.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay if we want to play this game and turn a simple task into rocket science so that people that are reading this that want to have a go at doing there own things get scared into thinking that these things are not possible at home. My makita impact driver is rated to 145nm of torque, now that force is going to change because the each thread takes a percentage of total force. I will have more time later to go right into depth, I stand behind my work . If your happy to sit back on your keyboard with a low res foto and come up with a professional opinion without even touching the cable or seeing how much force those little jaws have great.
    Hahahaha really..... games, scare campaigns against DIY?

I just based my opinionon experience, which may not be agreed with by everyone, Iam not going to get wound up or loose sleep over it and neither should you It is just an internet forum.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont worry mate I like it and I know plenty of others will to... dont worry about Ben and Macca they are a couple of Electrical internet bullies!!!!! Benny is only 4ft tall and has very small penis so he is trying to make up for something?? he he he!!!

If you need a cuddle just say the word!!!!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i dont think the guys are making rocket scienc out of it at all. these boys crimp wire for a living mate. see the outcomes of poor crimping and both guys have congratulated your endeavour. they both agree it will get you moving.

they are trying to give you some perspective though mate. they have tried to provide professional guidance to you and to many others here that will look at your idea and like it and maybe not see the limitations mate. A Crimp iis not a Crimp.

A Crimp failure can be paralising at best, at worst Catestrophic.

these guys are big contributors here and we as a group pride ourselves on providing the best possible advice.

you are new here and you will learn that unkike Many Forums on the Internet, this one there are NO KEYBOARD HEROS!

Chill mate, they are trying to help, not insult. have another read of your thread. your allowed to take Educated Advice

Thanks for your effort mate

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

macca (18th June 2013)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast