OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5$ Battery Terminal Crimper with professional results.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very innovative & at a nice price.
    When I needed cables for my Patrol fit out, including several 70mm2 & some 35mm2 & smaller. Trying to work out what lengths of cable I needed so I could then take the cables to an auto electrician for crimping would have been a real pain, so I bought myself an hydraulic crimper. Certainly it cost more than five bucks, but paid for itself in the few cables I had to make, plus I still have it for future use. I have arthritic wrists & find using a ratchet crimper on any wire diameter above 6mm pretty hard going, but easy with the hydraulic one. Prices for these have come down a lot in recent years & can now be bought for less than $50 with a range of dies for different lug sizes.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-70mm-...4a30b15&_uhb=1
    Not trying to detract from the OP's clever idea which had I not already got the hydraulic crimper I'd give a go. In fact it's a very 'Cuppa-esque' solution. Nice one.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th June 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Very innovative & at a nice price.
    When I needed cables for my Patrol fit out, including several 70mm2 & some 35mm2 & smaller. Trying to work out what lengths of cable I needed so I could then take the cables to an auto electrician for crimping would have been a real pain, so I bought myself an hydraulic crimper. Certainly it cost more than five bucks, but paid for itself in the few cables I had to make, plus I still have it for future use. I have arthritic wrists & find using a ratchet crimper on any wire diameter above 6mm pretty hard going, but easy with the hydraulic one. Prices for these have come down a lot in recent years & can now be bought for less than $50 with a range of dies for different lug sizes.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-70mm-...4a30b15&_uhb=1
    Not trying to detract from the OP's clever idea which had I not already got the hydraulic crimper I'd give a go. In fact it's a very 'Cuppa-esque' solution. Nice one.
    Lol mate, this is why its a forum to share peoples thoughts and opinions. Its not a bad topic to cover on battery terminal crimping. As I post more threads you'll notice I'll make everything i can possible that doesn't require special machinery,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sil3nt_dr3ams For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have massive (up to 1200mm) crimpers and some smaller ones (up to 120mm) crimpers at work that we hire out which I borrow when I need to but this idea is really good mate!
    By the way when you're running around trying to find an auto electrician to crimp a cable remember an electrician can do the same job.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    We have massive (up to 1200mm) crimpers and some smaller ones (up to 120mm) crimpers at work that we hire out which I borrow when I need to but this idea is really good mate!
    By the way when you're running around trying to find an auto electrician to crimp a cable remember an electrician can do the same job.

What is the tap stuff at the bottom of a lot of posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt_dr3ams View Post
    What is the tap stuff at the bottom of a lot of posts.
    Just a silly little signature inserted by the tapatalk app on people's phones. Basically if you see something like this it means they are posting via their phones.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol if I'm posting I'm in the workshop, right in the center of the shed is one of my pc's.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks SD, that nut-splitter, crimper will be the go for when I extend heavier winch power cables to the control box near the firewall.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a good Idea mate no doubt.
    But I do not think that is a professional finish, If I come across a crimp like that I would cut it off and re do it.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    But I do not think that is a professional finish, If I come across a crimp like that I would cut it off and re do it.
    Yeah but you have stupidly high standards when it comes to that stuff so for me its good enough... he he!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    What i mean by professional results as in how it splays the cable internaly and locks it. With the terminal locked in the vice pulling with all my force cable didn't move.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast