Thread: Waterlogged GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waterlogged GU

Hey all,

Just after info on possible leak points in the GU, I have just found that there was water under both front carpets and although I did go through some creeks roughly two weeks ago, I am just trying to rule out any other water entry spots around the doors when it is raining.

The car is usually parked on a sloping driveway nose downward, during recent rain, I saw a drop on the driver side grab handle, are there any known leak areas around the tops of the doors that I should be aware of or is it possible to get leakage under the windscreen wiper area.

All help appreciated.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon you have a leaking Windscreen seal mate. You could try a light bead of sikaflex and see if that helps or if your due a new screen then go a new seal too or at least sikaflex into the seal on install.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Ian2011 (16th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ian,

No known spots for water leakage into the cab, when everything is in factory order......

Depending on how old yours is, and what has been done to it, there could be a few different spots where water can get in.

On the passenger side, check the A/C drain goes to the outside.

On both sides, check things like cable entries from under the bonnet, holes in the footwells behind the kick panels, and maybe take your inside pillar linings off, and pour some water down the outside.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Ian2011 (16th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, its a 98 GU so as Mudrunner said maybe its time for some new sealant around the old windscreen, I have just drowned the car and still can't see any leaks. All bungs were in the floor so I'm not sure that's where it got in either. Did put some extra sealant around them before I put them back in though just to be sure.
    6.5 Chevy, roof rack, uhf, Spotties, dual batteries, ARB Bullbar, 12, 000lb winch, (unfortunately not Warn) Safari snorkel, Dieselgas conversion, 2in lift, engine watchdog fitted, boost/EGT guages, front elokka fitted, rear power supply mods, turbo timer, dual wheel carrier rear bar.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this thread
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...!!!!!!!!!!!!!-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The felt insulation under the vinyl floor covering in mine was sodden. Had to remove the seats & the floor covering, after which it took more than a week (in summer) to dry out. If you remove your glove box, or possibly even just look up behind it, chances are when it's raining you'll see a drip of water. It may be a windscreen seal, but I reckon it's just as likely, possibly more likely, to be either damaged or missing scrivet seals, especially if the windscreen has ever been replaced. I still haven't gotten around to fitting new scrivet seals, the sealant I put around them is working just fine.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Ian2011 (16th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Cuppa, what the hell is a scrivet seal and where is it?
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Pauly, what is a scrivet seal, and who would replace it. Also would this cause water on both sides of the tunnel. When I pulled out my carpet, I could not find any wet areas above the floor pan level except where carpets meet each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the thread I linked too in my previous post, there is a diagram there which will explain. My carpets were wet right across the cab, but water from the leaking/missing scrivet seals was channelled only to the passenger footwell.

Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 16th June 2013 at 07:34 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Ian2011 (18th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it is a non-factory windscreen, it may have too big a radius on the corners. Sikaflex is the go.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    X 2 if windscreen is sandblasted , easier to replace .
    Sealants "go off" over time so may be due for a newie
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast