Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 881 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb TD42 Injector pump mods!

G'day trendsetters,

I thought i would start an TD42 Injector pump recondition/mod thread.

Curious to know who has had their pump reconditioned or modified and by whom ie,( Matt Craig United fuel Injections WA 12mm fuel pump mods, Shawn Swaffield Diesel Central N/Qld 12mm fuel pump mods.)

As previously advised i have just been informed by forum member dingorunner that he has made available to the forum a GU Zetel VE boost compensator (aneroid) injector pump. He has done this so I can strip down and photo all the parts pertaining to the pump and with assistance from other diesel mechanics I will also show how to best tune this type of pump.

So lets start this thread lounge lizards! Who has modified there pump and are you happy with your results! Could you also provide info on what mods were made, cost and who did the work.

Regards,

RLI
    Last edited by PMC; 15th June 2013 at 12:15 PM.
    The halls been rented the bands been paid, time to see you dance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    Your an inquisitive bugger, lol.

I have a 12mm pump built by UFI in Perth. It uses a 1hdt head, plunger and cam plate.
    Most 12mm pumps would use the same combination of parts.
    You could also use a larger lift cam plate in a 10 or 11mm pump to gain some extra fuel volume.
    I have also had a bit of a play around with a DC 12mm pump, hopefully tomorrow I will get some time to play with the DC pump some more.
    Any pump shop should be able to piece together a 12mm pump. The trick though is getting the timing advance setup correctly and the governor working correctly. Between the 2 pumps I have played with it is obvious they ate quite different in there charactoristics.
    The UFI pump is very aggressive in its bottom end fueling, which you can see on certain dyno graphs with the way the boost climbs and the torque rise that comes with this. But the trade off seems to be in max figures acheivable, with the UFI pump just not quite being able to maintain fueling in the top end, above 32-3300 rpm.
    The DC pump seems to be a bit less responsive down low, but the fueling up top is much better. The DC pumps always seem to make higher max kw and nm figures, just that little bit latter in the revs, but can maintain the power higher into the rev range.
    It is hard to compare driving between the 2 because the turbo setups are so different. But mine even with the larger turbo is more responsive from the get go, but it is just not a big torque monster. I expect it to top out at around the low 700nm range at maybe 2100rpm even with 35ish psi. The DC pump with the smaller turbo and 4-5 psi less I am expecting to make very similar torque to mine but at slightly higher revs, maybe 23-2400rpm.
    Either setup is quiet nice to drive and I would have either.
    As said earlier the pump setup plays a big part in this, not really the major components used in them.
    Just one last thing, in the 2-2400 rpm range both are doing quite well and you would be hard pressed to feel the difference driving them.
    Just my observations.

Marty.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bambill For This Useful Post:

PMC (15th June 2013), Stropp (25th June 2013)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambill View Post
    Paul,
    Your an inquisitive bugger, lol.

I have a 12mm pump built by UFI in Perth. It uses a 1hdt head, plunger and cam plate.
    Most 12mm pumps would use the same combination of parts.
    You could also use a larger lift cam plate in a 10 or 11mm pump to gain some extra fuel volume.
    I have also had a bit of a play around with a DC 12mm pump, hopefully tomorrow I will get some time to play with the DC pump some more.
    Any pump shop should be able to piece together a 12mm pump. The trick though is getting the timing advance setup correctly and the governor working correctly. Between the 2 pumps I have played with it is obvious they ate quite different in there charactoristics.
    The UFI pump is very aggressive in its bottom end fueling, which you can see on certain dyno graphs with the way the boost climbs and the torque rise that comes with this. But the trade off seems to be in max figures acheivable, with the UFI pump just not quite being able to maintain fueling in the top end, above 32-3300 rpm.
    The DC pump seems to be a bit less responsive down low, but the fueling up top is much better. The DC pumps always seem to make higher max kw and nm figures, just that little bit latter in the revs, but can maintain the power higher into the rev range.
    It is hard to compare driving between the 2 because the turbo setups are so different. But mine even with the larger turbo is more responsive from the get go, but it is just not a big torque monster. I expect it to top out at around the low 700nm range at maybe 2100rpm even with 35ish psi. The DC pump with the smaller turbo and 4-5 psi less I am expecting to make very similar torque to mine but at slightly higher revs, maybe 23-2400rpm.
    Either setup is quiet nice to drive and I would have either.
    As said earlier the pump setup plays a big part in this, not really the major components used in them.
    Just one last thing, in the 2-2400 rpm range both are doing quite well and you would be hard pressed to feel the difference driving them.
    Just my observations.

Marty.
    G'day Marty,

You the man!

Regards,

Paul

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Trendsetters,

Dingorunners donated GU TD42 Injector pump arrived today for me to start to strip down and photo all the parts pertaining to the pump and with assistance from other diesel mechanics I will also show how to best tune this type of pump.

Yeeha baby, we are on our way lounge lizards!

Regards,

RLI

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day lounge lizards!

Just an up-date! So far i have pulled apart 3/4 of the pump and taken over 50 photos. I am hoping to finish the pump by the weekend!

Regards,

RLI

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMC For This Useful Post:

Astro (25th June 2013), Stropp (25th June 2013)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G,day folks

This is a request from a Coffs Harbour lad regardingin info on a TD 42 Turbo diesel injector pump. Has just fitted a TD42t into is GQ, this motor has been sitting for a bit over 8 months was running before taken out, I've had the sump of and nothing is bent etc turns over fine just wont start, have taken all injector lines off injectors and is minimal fuel coming through. So is asking the following questions;

1. is there a bleed screw on this pump, is it the aneroid type?

2. anyone have a schematic for this type of injector pump?

3. fuel cut off solenoid draws about 1.2 amps so presume it is ok, is this right?

4. any ideas on something I'm missing

This is all starting to annoy the hell out of me so any help is very much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

TRACK-MASTER! LOL

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go Swaffie hes a legend

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    What a scam RLI,

nearly a year, no info, no pics, no nothing.
    even managed to scam a pump off an unsuspecting patrolathon !!.

on ya RLI, how low can ya go.
    There is a little more to this robo. I know for a fact the pump in question was an unserviceable one only good for a major reco or the bin. All the photos were taken and the process started to get them here. RLI's health took a turn for the worse and he has been on a major roller coaster with his health. I spoke with him last night and his health has taken another turn and he is recovering from an op. He also hasn't been on this forum for a while now.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Clunk (2nd May 2014), jack (5th May 2014), mudski (2nd May 2014), Robo (4th May 2014), Stropp (3rd May 2014), TPC (2nd May 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,045 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    There is a little more to this robo. I know for a fact the pump in question was an unserviceable one only good for a major reco or the bin. All the photos were taken and the process started to get them here. RLI's health took a turn for the worse and he has been on a major roller coaster with his health. I spoke with him last night and his health has taken another turn and he is recovering from an op. He also hasn't been on this forum for a while now.
    Not good to hear he is still having health drama's, did he say how the latest op went?
    Miss his sense of humour on here.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable that someone can make accusations without finding out the facts or checking with anyone before making accusations about someone but then again it's easy to do it without being face to face!
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Clunk (3rd May 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast