Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black smoke / White smoke

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Maybe you know this, but here is a good explanation of black/white/blue smoke and with good explantion
    http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the posts fella's. I have cracked the code (maybe). As I had taken the turbo out of my broken 2004 model (my fault) I had forgotten that it had a Safari mod chip. This obviously had something to do with the engine light on in the dash and the poor idle and lack of power on initial take off because as soon as I plugged it in all the problems/symptoms went away. How is that possible as it had never been in the 2000 model patrol before? Also the smoke has gone so hopefully that was just the excess oil from the turbo.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a diesel hilux that had white smoke all the time

found out it was advanced timing that caused that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to scrawn For This Useful Post:

YNOT (23rd January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lucky for u, those type of stories normally end up in big $$$'s

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend solved a similar problem, the result was that the injection pump gave a great benefit by itself, had to change the control unit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ynot how are pyro (exhaust gas temperature) gauge fitted and how do they work? I would have thought if your engine was over fueling it would run cooler. If you got a petrol engine and it runs lean then temp goes up, so diesels aren't like petrol engines?
    am sort of lost have not had a lot to do with the old black guts!

Cheers
    Scotty

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pyro gauge has a thermocouple placed in the exhaust gases as close to the cylinder head as possible for accuracy. A lot of people myself included choose to fit the thermocouple immedietly after the turbo so if anything does happen the thermocouple it won't damage the turbo. The rule of thumb is add 100 degrees to the post-turbo temps to get pre-turbo temp.

Diesels are the opposite of petrols when it comes to mixtures, an overfueled diesel will run hot.
    It's interesting driving a turbo diesel with boost and pyro gauges for the first time and seeing what is happening in your engine. Lets say your cruising at 60km/h in 4th gear, about 1800rpm. Put your foot down to accelerate up to 100km/h, the boost gauge will come up very quickly (especially if you have a big exhaust fitted) but the pyro will lag behind and be a lot slower to rise. You will find you can move the needle on the pyro by lifting and pushing the accelerator. If your foot is flat to the floor the turbo will be on full boost (7psi standard) and the EGT's will rise to 500-550 if you hold you foot down for a while, but lift your foot slightly and the EGT's will start to drop without the boost gauge moving.
    At other times under heavy load (climbing a long hill) you will often find that although you have the torque to maintain speed on that hill in 4th gear, the EGT's will be lower by dropping down to third and using less throttle to maintain the same speed.

Tony

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (23rd February 2011), GU4u (19th February 2011), tkn (21st February 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    A pyro gauge has a thermocouple placed in the exhaust gases as close to the cylinder head as possible for accuracy. A lot of people myself included choose to fit the thermocouple immedietly after the turbo so if anything does happen the thermocouple it won't damage the turbo. The rule of thumb is add 100 degrees to the post-turbo temps to get pre-turbo temp.

Diesels are the opposite of petrols when it comes to mixtures, an overfueled diesel will run hot.
    It's interesting driving a turbo diesel with boost and pyro gauges for the first time and seeing what is happening in your engine. Lets say your cruising at 60km/h in 4th gear, about 1800rpm. Put your foot down to accelerate up to 100km/h, the boost gauge will come up very quickly (especially if you have a big exhaust fitted) but the pyro will lag behind and be a lot slower to rise. You will find you can move the needle on the pyro by lifting and pushing the accelerator. If your foot is flat to the floor the turbo will be on full boost (7psi standard) and the EGT's will rise to 500-550 if you hold you foot down for a while, but lift your foot slightly and the EGT's will start to drop without the boost gauge moving.
    At other times under heavy load (climbing a long hill) you will often find that although you have the torque to maintain speed on that hill in 4th gear, the EGT's will be lower by dropping down to third and using less throttle to maintain the same speed.

Tony
    I was going to ask what are EGT's but I know E xhaust G as T emperatures

derr Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ynot

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low compression will also create white smoke. I don't know if particles can slip through the intercooler, but you mentioned the turbo was "very broken", I assume by this
    that the veins were probably broken. It doesn't take much of a piece to do a lot of damage.
    White smoke on start up that dissipates can be caused by a faulty glow system or plug, causing low heat in one or more cylinders.

Phil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast