Thread: Black smoke / White smoke

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black smoke / White smoke

I own a 2000 DX patrol which has a few issues. Driving home from the bush yesterday car started blowing black smoke and she lost power. Car is not overheating or using oil. When I started the car in the morning lots of white smoke. Any help would be great! I thought it might be the turbo so I started removing from spare car and cannot remove the banjo bolt for the oil supply that is under the turbo. Does anyone know what size socket is required to remove it? I have unplugged the sensor but can not remove from banjo bolt either. Fumbling around please help.
    Last edited by Harry; 28th December 2010 at 11:40 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sme here, same thing happened to me with my 98 GU diesel patrol about 12 months ago...problem turned out to be unleaded fuel in tank instead of diesel. Completely drained tank and purged all lines, replaced fuel filters, primed and wallah it lives. No other problems and have done some 10000 klms since.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is injectors need servicing.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys thanks for the reply's. I have checked and are 100% positive the car has diesel fuel. I was abit disappointed as this would have been a quick fix. Started the car and let idle for a few minutes the white smoke seemed to ease up so decided to give her a few rev's. At about 2000rpm she started spewing out lots of smoke so turned her off and I removed the inlet pipe from the turbo into the intercooler only to find lots of oil. Thought I must have done a oil seal in the turbo. I removed the turbo to find it very broken. I will change out the intercooler for a clean spare from a 2004 model however I have noticed that the turbo's are different. Does anyone know if they can be modified or changed as the 2000 model has extra piping and banjo bolts. This would save me from puchasing a new one as it would take atleast 10 days to get to the Eylandt. I love living remote. Thanks for the reply's and everyone have a Happy New Year.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the injectors/injector pump are ok because I have no idea how to service them or get them done up here.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your engine is a TD42T then there are differences between earlier and later models. The earlier models the got water cooled turbos which would explain the 2 extra connections. You will need to swap the thermostat/top hose housings and block the other connection to fit the non water cooled turbo.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The egine is a 3ltr zd30. Is it still possible to modify?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If both engines are ZD30 DI motors then it most likely is possible, I've never done it myself. You will need to block the coolant feed and drain connections.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done the modifications and blanked off the coolant pipes. The car is running and has regained it's power however it is still blowing white smoke. Also the engine light is now staying on??? The car is not over heating, flushed and changed coolant and oil. Seems to sound abit tinny unitl higher in the rev range. Not sure, hopefully the smoke is just residual and will burn off eventually. Any idea's would be welcomed.
    Harry

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be cleaning and testing the MAF sensor, the thread below explains it;
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...eaning+sensors

Also check engine fault codes;
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ht=fault+codes

If you don't already have a pyro (exhaust gas temperature) gauge, I would fit one ASAP. If your engine is over fueling your exhaust temps will be excessive which could lead to engine failure. Fitting a boost gauge would be a good idea also.

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 5th January 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast