Thread: Cooking Oil in fuel tank

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooking Oil in fuel tank

I have heard that it is possible to put used cooking oil in the fuel tank of my patrol. Any thoughts regarding this please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of work but can be done, there are few people that do make there own Biodiesel.. They head to there Fish and chip shop and get the used oils

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
    Last edited by Forced Offroad; 10th June 2013 at 03:49 PM.
    FORCED OFFROAD
    Built by NISSAN Powered by HOLDEN Perfected by ME "hulksta"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GX2M...layer_embedded
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Gq-v8-daul-cab.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Forced Offroad For This Useful Post:

Smally 01 (10th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im thinking on older style diesels yes, this is fine, but not the higher tech ones we have today.
    You try it and let me know , Nah Not for me,
    They tell me you can smell the buses running BIO Diesel, but whats the point ,
    you have to build a seperate plant to refine the oil making it more expensive than "NORMAL" diesel.
    To me a bit like buying bottled water,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHY
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th June 2013 at 03:43 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard u can walk on water but have never been brave enough to ask any one if I can

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all for the enviroment i know but i dont want to smell like my local f/chip shop
    a lot of work for very little gain but each to there own
    good luck with it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Workmate ran his 80 series on bio for a while. To cut to the chase, car is off the road now with a well and truly cooked engine. It began with gaskets leaking everywhere, then gradually car overheating and now it's game over. Hes not sure what happened exactly, but for whatever reason the car ran way too hot on bio and eventually just called it quits. Price was literally a couple of cents under normal diesel, so I could never understand why he done it.
    The bastard made us all hungry when it was home time, and he was one of the first to leave. The fish and chips smell behind him was overwhelming. In the later stages of his engine demise, there was that much smoke behind him, the EPA people would have had a field day.
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Smally 01 (10th June 2013), threedogs (10th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biodiesel is one way, but it is also possible to run an old school diesel on straight used cooking oil. We met a couple wit a pair of young kids at Yulara, they had just come across the great central road in an old yellow & purple Landcruiser (47 series I think) running on only used cooking oil. At Yulara they had been to the restaraunt there & secured more supplies of used cooking oil & were spending their evening filtering it ready to put into their tank. I'm not sure what their set up was, but I do recall them telling me that some folk who run their vehicles this way have to be very choosy about what sort of used cooking oil they use, but they didn't because they had some sort of 'pre-heating' arrangement, allowing them to use the type of oil that solidifies. It was a very labour intensive way to travel, but as they explained, better than just sitting at home.

Another couple running their 4wd on straight used cooking oil
    Cuppa
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th June 2013 at 07:30 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the UK diesel price is nearly twice the price of home brew Bio . So guess what I run lol
    As said old school pre common rail generally will run fine on SVO straight veg oil. In colder climes like here :/ it can get a bit gloopy so a few litres of petrol fixes that
    Does smell a bit like a chip shop but hey I'm not paying bloody duty ha ha ;-)
    Emissions are virtually none too .
    You'll need to be careful if your old truck has rubber pipes though as veggie can eventually rot it. This can be a problem if the pump has rubber O rings etc. Most these days are some sort of synthetic rubber so "should" good to go.
    My Trol 4.2 has been running on it since I had it 3 years back , all good and "cheap as chips"
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to makeitfit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the older naturally aspirated diesels can handle it, not CRD or turbo versions, the ones I know use it straight
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in the uk, I had a Mitsubishi delica and I ran it on straight veg oil for around 3 years as it was half the price of diesel. I fitted electric and coolant heaters to make it thinner. The delica had a rotary injector pump, reportedly not as robust as an inline pump like the mq has, however I had no issues, even in winter. I believe the older precombustion chamber diesels are ok, but direct injection are not.

Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast