Thread: Winch wiring, multi point ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winch wiring, multi point ?

Calling all electricker types
    I've been trying to be clever with my winch controls.
    I have a master switch on the dash, ON/OFF/ON to send power to the aerial up/down switch on the dash that now controls winch in/out. The ON/OFF/ON switch also sends power to the outside wander lead when switched to the other ON position. So only inside OR outside controls for the winch , not both for obvious reasons.
    However I've hit a snag, when the outside ON is used the outside controls only make the solenoid clunk, ie there's not enough volts hitting it ? I think I'm getting voltage drop by sending power back into the truck loom. I think

So my long winded question, Can I fit a diode or something at the outside end to stop me loosing power back into the truck ?

PS inside ON works fine with the aerial up/down making the winch go in and out
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should not make any difference unless you have wired it incorrectly.

Essentially both circuits as Switching circuits only. They both Only switch the Solenoid. The winch relies on the power from the battery to the solenoid to the winch. Full stop.

All or your switching is only to operate the solenoid (relay). Recheck your wiring.

Note also that the switch you have used for your I cab control should be a "momentary On" switch. I am not sure that that factory switch is?

On - Off - On is to suitable for an incab switch.

It MUST be Momentary On - Off - Momentary On

Hope that helps
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Note also that the aerial switch "may" be switch negative? Guessing. This may cause further issues as you would then have alternative switching circuits I think? Getting above my head now I declare.

If the switch is suitable as above then run a twin core straight to the battery to the back of that switch and see if it functions? If it does then its the loom and bypass it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. The aerial switch is momentary
    The on/off/on isnt but was on an external winch solenoid previously.
    I'll try a new cable now as suggested . I was just thinking the old power aerial plug under the wing was so convenient , doh !
    Back in a bit lol
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/