OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol for off-roading - why do you think it is so popular amongst offroaders?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nissan Patrol for off-roading - why do you think it is so popular amongst offroaders?

So i'm doing a little bit of questioning about Nissan Patrol - why do you think it is so popular amongst off-road enthusiasts? Strong suspension? Good ground clearance? Strong transmission, engine? Cheap repairs compared to other off-road type cars? Or maybe Patrols have a great potential for a future modifications of the car? If you have an opinion i would love to hear it.
    Last edited by lurker; 10th June 2013 at 02:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongest driveline

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your not paying for a name eg Toyota

Your paying for one of, if not the best off road vehicle of all time it come out standard with a bullet proof driveline and is a pleasure to drive

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very strong driveline, unbeatable LSD, a handbrake that actually holds (unlike most Toyota's). Very capable vehicle standard.
    GUIII ZD30 Manual Wagon, OME 2" lift, 33" BFG AT's, Snorkel, Chip, 3" Redback Exh, Dual Batts, etc.
    KEEP OUR TRACKS LITTER FREE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearGUST View Post
    Very strong driveline, unbeatable LSD, a handbrake that actually holds (unlike most Toyota's). Very capable vehicle standard.
    Had a Hilux, getting into the Patrol to find a handbrake that actually held was such a surprise. So pissed with Toyota it wouldn't hold on my driveway layback.
    Agree with all the rest as well.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best value for money large 4x4.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When doing the rounds of car hire companies in Broome for a vehicle to drive up the Dampier Peninsula they ALL had a variety of 4wd's available, but restricted those allowed to go up the Peninsula to Landcruisers & Patrols. This told me a lot about the strength & longevity of those machines compared to everything else on the market. When I started looking further into it wanting a vehicle for long term ownership/outback touring & learned about the factors others have already outlined the Patrol made a lot of sense. A capable machine which would hold together over time. Landcruisers probably still outnumber Patrols in the outback, but I think this is a long term 'Brand Loyalty' thing which is changing. Can't see why Toyota's are worth the extra money other than they established the 'name'. Often in the outback 4wd's are still just called Toyotas, even when they are Nissans! My Patrol is ex Telstra (from Alice Springs). A company like Telstra wouldn't have run Patrols if they considered Landcruisers a better option.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Had a Hilux, getting into the Patrol to find a handbrake that actually held was such a surprise. So pissed with Toyota it wouldn't hold on my driveway layback.
    Agree with all the rest as well.
    Thats funny...my hilux had the worst handbrake
    Once while airing down my hilux decided it would start without me and was headed for a big fall..... managed to get in put my foot on the brake just in time.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Easy to Mod, spares everywhere, in GU Giuse last of the true 4x4s
    Bulletproof driveline, best LSD in the business, Ready to go straight off
    the showroom floor. Oh BTW last 4x4 was a 75s Troopy, twin lockers, tough
    as but not as tough as a Patrol.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many factors made me buy one. Bulletproof driveline and diffs. All-around comfort on and off-road. Sheer off-road capability. And they bloody look good too straight off, and especially when done-up right. There's a reason hema maps used patrols to scope out tracks all over Aus. Love my GU!
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast