Thread: DIY Rear wheel bearings & seals

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question DIY Rear wheel bearings & seals

Hi all. In the next couple of days (if i get time) im going to be replacing my rear wheel bearings & seals. Would any one be interested if i posted some shots & step by step guide on how its done using only general tools @ home ?????
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 20th November 2016 at 04:08 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

dom14 (20th November 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a job for home mate sorry, they really need to be pressed off and on. Front no probs but the back are not
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seals are easy to replace but the preload on the bearing is something like 240ft/lbs...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested if you do have a way that can be easily done at home.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Not a job for home mate sorry, they really need to be pressed off and on. Front no probs but the back are not
    Hi im a field service plant mechanic & have been doin this sort of thing for 30 odd yrs on site with out any presses etc & never had a failure. As i cant carry everthing on my truck i need to improvise with what i have on board granted sometimes ive had to make some tools along the way but always get it done..

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    I'd be interested if you do have a way that can be easily done at home.
    Hi parksy. Hopefully all going well tomorrow ill knock it over & take a heap of pics & explain what im doing & post it obviously things can be made easier with presses ETC but not all ppl can afford to buy a press or send it to a shop ive been working field service for over 30yrs on earth moving equipment ETC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

Parksy (9th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mate I am keen to see some pics
    01 gu td4.2t wagon factory turbo 2" lift, 3" exhaust,snorkel,awning,uhf,egt & boost gauges,16"black round hole dynamic rims with 285 bighorns with more to come, ,air compressor,rear led work lights,winch, ready to fit up

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoose View Post
    Hi all. In the next couple of days (if i get time) im going to be replacing my rear wheel bearings & seals. Would any one be interested if i posted some shots & step by step guide on how its done using only general tools @ home ?????
    Hi mate, I read your post to mean you were asking for advice on how it can be done at home? a second read today and your offering to produce a DIY on the process.

Sorry i responded to you as a newby, which is reasonable and this is generally not a job to be attempted as a newby to tools and home maintenance. Your obviously Not a newby as you have since explained.

Hell yeah mate, show us how its done at home. would be very keen to see it laid out as i recently had the rear diff stripped and stopped short of attempting that in the driveway.

Look forward to the pictorial.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alitis007 View Post
    The seals are easy to replace but the preload on the bearing is something like 240ft/lbs...
    Hi ALITIS007 From memory. The bearings get tensioned up to about 350ft-lb. Then lock it off. Then use a spring tensioner gauge & check the rotational torque which needs to be around 5 lb.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, I read your post to mean you were asking for advice on how it can be done at home? a second read today and your offering to produce a DIY on the process.

Sorry i responded to you as a newby, which is reasonable and this is generally not a job to be attempted as a newby to tools and home maintenance. Your obviously Not a newby as you have since explained.

Hell yeah mate, show us how its done at home. would be very keen to see it laid out as i recently had the rear diff stripped and stopped short of attempting that in the driveway.

Look forward to the pictorial.

Cheers MR
    Hi Mud. All cool mate its not that hard really just time consuming if you dont have a press etc but it is possible. Ill try n get some good clear pics

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th June 2013)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast