Thread: DIY Rear wheel bearings & seals

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D y i wheel rear bearings & seals

Now that you have made sure everything is clean slide the axle back in BUT DO NOT REST THE AXLE ON THE SEAL THAT YOU JUST INSTALLED INTO THE HOUSING as you slide the axle into position rotate it as you push & try to lift the slpined end up as you push it in so it will slide into the planetary then tighten all the nuts up & refit the disc & caliper
    When doing this repair just take your time & think ahead theres no rush & remember its easier to fix a stupid question than it is to fix a stupid mistake
    Any questions just ask
    My next job hopefully will be to rebuild a 5speed & transfer box & replace a 5th gear shaft
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (15th February 2024), dom14 (3rd July 2015), Robo (10th February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jgoose, this is a job I hope I don't have to do, but nevertheless I thank you very much for posting as you have. I now have a much better idea of 'what's in there' & if I were ever in a situation where I had to undertake this task could do so with greater confidence. Good one mate.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (17th June 2013), BrazilianY60 (15th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up , it's always great when guys like you share your knowledge ,

Steve
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Bloke, I'll be running my axles down to my local mechanic to get the pressing done I recon, how long did it take to do the job and get back to that box of cans? Excellent photos as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post JGoose, and some great tips for all of us which we can apply to a multitude of jobs, and with some more agricultural tools too.

mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all thanks for the kind words i relise its not a job for everyone i just like to show ppl how things can be done without paying top dollar at least a lot of the job isnt too hard to tackle at home then take the axles to the mechanic for the pressing side of it
    this took me around 4-5hrs plus i greased the car & changed all the oils as well. I Smashed the rum had to grab another couple of cubes ill be fitting wheel sensors soon if anyones interested.
    . If any one needs any help all you need to do is ask

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (15th February 2024), dom14 (20th November 2016), jayisbikes (31st August 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jgoose, I'll give it a go !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great job, much appreciated.. Thanks for taking the time and sharing that procedure.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey sorry to dig up an old post, I have just done a wheel bearing on my gq axle, the torque spec was around 450nm, then back off and preload to spec. I have backed off the lock nut and the preload is still 120nm, this seems waaaay to tight or will it loosen up as the new bearings break in. Do I just lock the nut so there is no play in the axle and hope for the best or is there something not quite right here?
    Thanks for any help

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234