OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1183 of 1448 FirstFirst ... 18368310831133117311811182118311841185119312331283 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,830 of 14473

Thread: What has made you Angry Today???????

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah we are using a private guy, but it has to go by the council first regardless. I have learnt today, even though we are on a battleaxe block, meaning the front of my house faces the back of someone elses, council requires a full town planning permit as its facing the front of the block. So it is what it is. Onwards and upwards.
    Yep if there's planning issues involved they need to be dealt with before building permits can be issued. Maybe speak with a planning consultant to work throoough it. Stick with the private building surveyor once you've got through planning. Shouldnt be any planning involved in your retaining wall works.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Yep if there's planning issues involved they need to be dealt with before building permits can be issued. Maybe speak with a planning consultant to work throoough it. Stick with the private building surveyor once you've got through planning. Shouldnt be any planning involved in your retaining wall works.
    I do need permits and maybe planning for the wall, as its going to be nearly two metres high and some 20 odd metres long. But the draftsman will fill me in more soon. He's local to me and is familiar with the local laws here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do need permits and maybe planning for the wall, as its going to be nearly two metres high and some 20 odd metres long. But the draftsman will fill me in more soon. He's local to me and is familiar with the local laws here.
    That retaining wall will definately need a building permit. Wall will need structural engineer design (not draftsman). There are no such things as local building laws any more. All building (including structural) design must meet National Construction Code. That means there are no council building codes to meet, except town planning that has nothing to do with structural design. Speak to a building surveyor for regulatory advice not a drafty as building surveyors oversee architect/drafty designs for compliance with National Construction Code requirements.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Anyone know why pictures aren't working with tapa lately? Been bloody anoying . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I see pics just fine..... Has you tsppa updated recently? Tried clearing the cache or resetting your phone?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That retaining wall will definately need a building permit. Wall will need structural engineer design (not draftsman). There are no such things as local building laws any more. All building (including structural) design must meet National Construction Code. That means there are no council building codes to meet, except town planning that has nothing to do with structural design. Speak to a building surveyor for regulatory advice not a drafty as building surveyors oversee architect/drafty designs for compliance with National Construction Code requirements.
    Yeah the draftsman did mention something like that to me today but it wall went over my head. He did say that this wall will need a tick of approval from council though because of how close it will be to the neighbors house, and the height. Surveyors need to come out for the extension and so they can look at where we want the wall to go at the same time. He wont be doing much, if anything for the wall, moreso the house but organising the required inspections for the wall to be done at the same time as the house. As if we did the wall first, then had to call out the surveyors again for the house, more issues may arise. Where as the council can't get their back up at us if they looked at everything at once. This is all new to me, most just sounds like a load of BS and a money grab but its the unnecessary evil I suppose i have to endure to achieve the outcome i want.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah the draftsman did mention something like that to me today but it wall went over my head. He did say that this wall will need a tick of approval from council though because of how close it will be to the neighbors house, and the height. Surveyors need to come out for the extension and so they can look at where we want the wall to go at the same time. He wont be doing much, if anything for the wall, moreso the house but organising the required inspections for the wall to be done at the same time as the house. As if we did the wall first, then had to call out the surveyors again for the house, more issues may arise. Where as the council can't get their back up at us if they looked at everything at once. This is all new to me, most just sounds like a load of BS and a money grab but its the unnecessary evil I suppose i have to endure to achieve the outcome i want.
    Yep you're confused and that's not your fault. Building regulations are very complicated.

First of all, council does not need to be involved (in Victoria) no matter how close your retaining wall is to the boundary. Private building surveyors will deal with the regulatory issues involved in this. That may include guiding you through issuance of Protection Works Notices to your immediate neighbours. Sounds like this will be needed. Bit complex but Building Surveyor will guide you.

Secondly, don't get mixed up between building surveyors and land surveyors. Building surveyors oversee compliance with building regulations, not actually survey building sites with a theodolite in the traditional surveying sense.

Thirdly, if you engage a private building surveyor the council will have nothing to do with the building inspections. The private building surveyor will do the inspections or subcontract the inspections to a registered private building inspector. No need for council footprints on your block.

Fourthly, the council can't get their back up just because they dont look at everything at once. They won't even be involved in inspections if you go through a private building surveyor. A building inspector (private or council) can only legally veto the particular aspect requiring approval at the time of their site visit. They may comment on issues not directly pertinent to that inspection but they can't fail an inspection on issues unrelated to that inspection.

Fiftly, there's no money grab when using private consultants (probably not even using councils but I've never worked public service). The building industry here is probably nearly as highly regulated as the airline industry. There is so many boxes to be ticked and so many hoops to be jumped, all in the name of end user safety. Never perfect but compare it to other countries where mass people get killed through building failures.

Feel free to PM me mate if you need more help.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

mudski (14th September 2018), PeeBee (13th September 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I kinda get it now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A building inspector (private or council) can only legally veto the particular aspect requiring approval at the time of their site visit. They may comment on issues not directly pertinent to that inspection but they can't fail an inspection on issues unrelated to that inspection.
    Either its different where I live or the rules have changed since we bought our house as council knocked back a carport out the front that was originally approved by council 2 be built but then after building never got signed off on, so to them it was an unapproved carport, nothing was wrong with the carport and would of passed but while they were here inspecting the carport decided 2 go out the back and said we needed guttering on our carport that was out the back and a gutter off our tin shed and they would not sign off on the perfectly fine carport out the front until we fixed the gutter issues out the back..... that was 5+ years ago and I still have an unapproved carport out the front and no gutters on the things out the back
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Either its different where I live or the rules have changed since we bought our house as council knocked back a carport out the front that was originally approved by council 2 be built but then after building never got signed off on, so to them it was an unapproved carport, nothing was wrong with the carport and would of passed but while they were here inspecting the carport decided 2 go out the back and said we needed guttering on our carport that was out the back and a gutter off our tin shed and they would not sign off on the perfectly fine carport out the front until we fixed the gutter issues out the back..... that was 5+ years ago and I still have an unapproved carport out the front and no gutters on the things out the back
    Yeah different thing. When they're dealing with un-signed-off (haha is that a word?) construction of course they're going to look around further. What I was referring to was inspections during construction.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ....getting offered another job that will pay in excess of 70% more than what Im on now. Because I've finally found a place where I actually enjoy going to work and are pumped for the day.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (14th September 2018), Rossco (14th September 2018), TPC (17th September 2018), Yeti's Beast (14th September 2018)

Page 1183 of 1448 FirstFirst ... 18368310831133117311811182118311841185119312331283 ... LastLast