OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the TD28's compared like to the TD42?

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll put it out there,

No comparison.

There is nothing better than a TD42 unless it's a turbo TD42

Couldn't help myself

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My RD28T does a pretty decent job. I can't however compare it to a 4.2, as they don't have those here

They are however, as someone already stated, known for their weak heads, so should you choose to buy one, do take that into account (good service history, no abuse etc.)..

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd try and save a little bit longer and be a bit more patient to seek out a td42. Would be much better in the long run with possibly lower maintenance costs. The RD28 equipped patrol doesn't have the same "truck" like gearbox, and the heads can be prone to going. Which if one of these happened to you after buying the RD28, then you're probably at the same costs as the TD42.

I have a GU TD42t, and I'm glad I spent the little bit of extra time looking around - has been reliable and an absolute pleasure to drive.

CHeers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, like previously said, spend the extra bit of coin on a 4.2.

We bought a 1997 RX RD28 and regretted it. If you're towing at all steer clear of the smaller 2.8, 4.2's win in that area.
    The 2.8's have a weak fifth gear and is not suited for towing anything bigger than a small box trailer with a very "light" load.

I had to replace our cylinder head once and radiator twice, because of the cracked head.
    After buying ours, the bottom end had to be rebuilt because of the harmonic balancer/crank issue which is common on these engines.

If its for playing on the weekend and a daily driver, or trips without heavy loads or trailers, this would be a suitable truck. Other than that I will never recommend a 2.8.

Also bear in mind the mechanic you take it to plays a HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE part in how reliable a truck fares, we found out the hard way via multiple issues and now have a TD42 residing where the 2.8 sat.
    The 2.8 has been retired to our garage! Until I sort out what to do with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12