Thread: Reports on the common rail Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reports on the common rail Patrol

I'm looking around for a new 4x4. My old 2001 3ltr patrol died last week when a piston blew. I've been told the new common rail diesels are a whole new motor and are having no problems {by the local nissan service manager}. I met a fellow patrol owner 12 months ago who told me there was a flat spot in the acceleration around 90kph. Has anybody out there had any problems with the current patrol. We love the way the patrol is set up for touring and don't want to change brands but after a string of expensive repairs over the years we are nervious about what to buy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate, head over to the introduction section and post an intro about yourself.

you should consider putting in a TD42 into your blown car? or an LS2

Where abouts are you located?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

threedogs (5th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had a 09 3L for 9 months now, im pretty happy with it, bit thirsy though. Only got 75k on the clock so cant comment on longevity though.
    09 ST CRD 5 spd Wagon, Snorkel, ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Duel Btys, Beaudesert 2.3/4 exh, Provent 200, Racor 445 ... now to find some money for the rest!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, Iv got a 2001 zd30 with 390000kms on it and its been great, i thrash it abit =]

More or less nissan is cheap and didnt make it reliable, there are heaps of mod's you can do to them to make them reliable.

Boost / EGT Gauge, catch can, thicker radiator/intercooler, dawes valve, needle valve, EGT Block, snorkel, etc

And keep on top of servicing!

Rob,

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 08 CRD auto, have owned for a whole 5 weeks!! Pretty happy with it so far, dunno about that flat spot though, mine seems fine.
    2008 GU ST Bog stock and no smoking barrels!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 08 CRD Manual and have not noticed a flat spot in the acceleration.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluedogs,

I am on my second one, with no faults with either....smooth running, and great economy on both of mine.

First one was traded just under 100K, and the second one is around 40K, so no massive miles yet, but my previous Di is still with the owner after me, and is now starting to clock up serious K's.

No hesitations in buying another one here, although with the work put into this one, I'll have to keep it for a long while.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogs View Post
    I'm looking around for a new 4x4. My old 2001 3ltr patrol died last week when a piston blew. I've been told the new common rail diesels are a whole new motor and are having no problems {by the local nissan service manager}. I met a fellow patrol owner 12 months ago who told me there was a flat spot in the acceleration around 90kph. Has anybody out there had any problems with the current patrol. We love the way the patrol is set up for touring and don't want to change brands but after a string of expensive repairs over the years we are nervious about what to buy.
    There is probably a flat spot at 90, when you have it in fifth, and are going up a hill....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard bluedogs.
    Have had mine for just 2 weeks now and I'm very happy with it. 45k on clock so cannot comment on the longevity or reliability of it. But the power it has is great! I was a bit worried about the power side of things as it's a heavy car with only a 3L as it's main heart. But this thing goes great!!
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, head over to the introduction section and post an intro about yourself.

you should consider putting in a TD42 into your blown car? or an LS2

Where abouts are you located?
    I'm new to this site and not sure how to reply to everybody so I hope this goes to all who posted replies.
    I had a $10,000.00 quote to repair the Patrol motor which is more than it is worth as a trade in.
    Having had 5th gear replaced at 110,000Kms, the "buffer mechanism??" between the gear box and motor replaced at 160,000kms plus various other failures I'm hoping the new 2013 patrol has overcome these faults.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast