Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Mine is an '06 4.2 TDi - 2 x Z503

I have to admit my amazement that after a century of developing the internal combustion engine for automotive purposes & the '06 TDi being the end of the line of that engine's evolution that such poor consideration has been given to the ease of basic servicing. Whoever made the decision to make those filters so inaccessible should have been shot! And for any new owner .... it's impossible to see which filters you need until you remove the old ones which is a pia unless you live next door to the filter shop.

I like the idea of letting the motor drain overnight to reduce the amount of oil in the filters.

Cuppa

It's a disgrace!!!

*****Hey! Let's mount the dirty filthy 1lt oil filters Horizontally! Hell Yeah we will!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 5th June 2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    It's a disgrace!!!

*****Hey! Let's mount the dirty filthy 1lt oil filters Horizontally! Hell Yeah we will!!
    I think you can with a mod out there......
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 5th June 2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fixing my typo in the embedded quote cause i can ;)
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey they could have mounted them vertically and screw off with the entry at the bottom!!! That's the Only way it would make More Mess than it does now!!! I did an oil and filter change on the GUIV on the weekend and its just sooooo messy.

I have a neat little attachment that was made to bolt to the side of the td42 below the 2 oil filters which catches the lot and is awesome but would not fit the TD42Ti damn it. I have it fitted to the GQ but not the GUIV.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 5th June 2013 at 10:03 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Mine is an '06 4.2 TDi - 2 x Z503

I have to admit my amazement that after a century of developing the internal combustion engine for automotive purposes & the '06 TDi being the end of the line of that engine's evolution that such poor consideration has been given to the ease of basic servicing. Whoever made the decision to make those filters so inaccessible should have been shot! And for any new owner .... it's impossible to see which filters you need until you remove the old ones which is a pia unless you live next door to the filter shop.

I like the idea of letting the motor drain overnight to reduce the amount of oil in the filters.

Cuppa
    Take longer to do the oil ??? How else are they going to make $$$$ in the future
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey they could have mounted them vertically and screw off with the entry at the bottom!!! That's the Only way it would make More Mess than it does now!!! I did an oil and filter change on the GUIV on the weekend and its just sooooo messy.

I have a neat little attachment that was made to bolt to the side of the td42 below the 2 oil filters which catches the lot and is awesome but would not fit the TD42Ti damn it. I have it fitted to the GQ but not the GUIV.
    I remember seeing something like that a long time ago before I bought the party bus even! I cannot find it now though, have you got a link?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I remember seeing something like that a long time ago before I bought the party bus even! I cannot find it now though, have you got a link?

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!
    No sorry Chris, it was designed and made by a guy on patrol4x4 many moons ago, he only made a few and I bought 2.

I have one in the shed. I will take a when I get time and post it up.

Having another look at the GUIV on the weekend I might try to fit it again next change.

Damn it's soooo messy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have read guys say they put a shopping bag over the oil filter before they undo it and it will catch all the oil. Might try that next time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

menis (18th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It not so much the oil in the filter you lose but what's in the filter head as well. Being vertical would still see oil being spilt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    It not so much the oil in the filter you lose but what's in the filter head as well. Being vertical would still see oil being spilt
    if they er mounted vertically with the fill hole at the top though it would not be anywhere near as messy as it currently is though yeah? Its just Wrong now!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Possibly. With filters with a better anti drain back in them you should only get 100ml approx spill. If the filters were vertical then the size of the filter head would determine how much oil will be spilt.
    It comes down to room constraints really, you could remote mount them but this could harder than its worth.

It isn't the best setup but it is still one of the easiest in a passenger vehicle. Ask a new cruiser owner where there oil filter is and for a laugh where the starter is

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast