Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have just checked and he is not about. I sent him another pm with my contact and will let you know mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed my oil filters yesterday, did as macca suggested & let the oil drain overnight before removing the filters. It certainly made quite a difference to the amount of oil which spills down over everything below the filters. I also removed the fuel filter first which made access to the oil filters easier, but they are still a bugger to get too.

Hardest was removing the fuel filter from the filter plate. I would't have thought that I put it on so tight, but I couldn't unscrew it with a filter strap wrench - bent the wrench trying! Would be a problem out on the road with no vice to put the filter mounting plate in. Eventually got it undone with a pair of large mouth vise grips & a number of indentations in the old filter. Last changed 10,000kms ago. Had about 1/4 teaspoon of snotty brown gunk & about a tablespoon of water in it. Will have to think how best to plan for filter removal on the road, as if it were that hard to get off again we could be stuck if we picked up a dirty batch of fuel. Friend had to change fuel filters several times over two days in a remote area after getting bad fuel.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fuel filter is really quite simple Cuppa. You don't need to remove the fuel filter to do the oil filters unless you changing it too.

Just undo the plunger from the mount, disconnect both hoses and take the whole thing out of the way

If you want to undo the fuel filter then undo the mount as above and mount it Upsidedown back onto the mount so the filter is up in the air (as good as having it in a vice mate ) then just undo it.

When you have refitted the fuel filter housing then just fit the supply hose only and put a cup or cut up coke bottle under the out side going to the fuel pump and use the hand pump until the fuel come and then keep pumping until there is a constant stream and no air then reconnect the hose.

Happy days. Easy as. Anywhere on the planet.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th July 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Fuel filter is really quite simple Cuppa. You don't need to remove the fuel filter to do the oil filters unless you changing it too.

Just undo the plunger from the mount, disconnect both hoses and take the whole thing out of the way

If you want to undo the fuel filter then undo the mount as above and mount it Upsidedown back onto the mount so the filter is up in the air (as good as having it in a vice mate ) then just undo it.

When you have refitted the fuel filter housing then just fit the supply hose only and put a cup or cut up coke bottle under the out side going to the fuel pump and use the hand pump until the fuel come and the. Keep pumping until there is a constant stream and no air then reconnect the hose.

Happy days. Easy as. Anywhere on the planet.
    Ah but......
    I did need to change the filter.
    Certainly a good tip about bolting it back onto it's bracket upside down ....... but in this case I assure you that I would have bent the bracket, it was on that tight! But handy to know I don't need a large bench vice on the road provided I don't overtighten the filter in the first place. I was careful this time, but did notice the whole filter turning a bit more when I tightened the bottom hex.

In regard to pumping until fuel comes out. I have tried this, but have never succeeded in getting fuel to come out. Admittedly this is only the second time I've changed the fuel filter, & on each occasion have screwed the filter assembly on empty. I've pumped away for some time & then given up, & decided just to connect the outlet hose & try the ignition key. On both occasions the motor has just fired up as normal & continued running without a hiccup.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You gotta pump them pretty vigorously for it to happen.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    You gotta pump them pretty vigorously for it to happen.
    Yeah, it's a pretty short stroke.
    I assume that my lift pump (if that's the correct term) must fill the filter before the fuel pump runs dry. Not sure what happened to the air that was in the filter, because as I say, the motor didn't miss a beat. Just started immediately & ran normally. I would have expected some misfiring if the air went through the fuel pump & were injected into the cylinders in place of fuel?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah you would know if it sucked air. If it works cuppa I wouldn't worry about doing it any other way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th July 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing one at a time is helpful as it gives your hand a reference to line the new filter up against the remaining one. Then you buy a Cross Country intercooler and it all goes to shit LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to portal pat For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (23rd July 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by portal pat View Post
    Changing one at a time is helpful as it gives your hand a reference to line the new filter up against the remaining one. Then you buy a Cross Country intercooler and it all goes to shit LOL
    Portal Pat!

Damn mate, thought you had gone and done a big Lap mate, have you still got that very special tray back mate? Have not seen another so well set up.

How are the Portals going a few years down now. Post an update in your build thread mate.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Portal Pat!

Damn mate, thought you had gone and done a big Lap mate, have you still got that very special tray back mate? Have not seen another so well set up.

How are the Portals going a few years down now. Post an update in your build thread mate.
    Yes, still got it mate and still love it. Continues to evolve. Portals going well. Had to do some maintenance on one side but that was my bad with bearing adjustment overlooked.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast