Thread: Buying Wheel Nuts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying Wheel Nuts

Have never bought wheel nuts before, just used what my cars came with or used a couple from the wreckers when needed.

Well now that I have, as of today, my brand spanking new ROH steel rims, courtesy of Alitis007, Bloody Aussie & Winnie (thanks again guys) I need some new wheel nuts to hold on the new wheels. The old galvanised ones holding my split rims on just won't cut the mustard in the aesthetic stakes.

I know I need nuts with a 60 degree taper and 12 x1.25, BUT are wheel nuts all much of a muchness, & should I just buy ones I like the look of, or is their more to consider? On ebay prices vary between $30 & $70+ for a set of 24.

I haven't priced ROH nuts, but expect they may be pricey, BUT are they wort the extra $'s (if indeed they do cost more)?

Some questions.

Alloy or steel?
    Black or chrome? Does one hold up against the rattle gun better, without quickly looking shabby?
    Is the closed end vs the open end & long or short style just a looks thing?

I quite fancy black, but am not keen if they end up looking like crap as soon as a wrench or rattle gun is put on them.
    If I give the black a miss, & go with the chrome, I don't want ones that will start to rust at the first sign of winter.

Advice welcome

Thanks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to replace one on my GQ and ordered it through Nizzbits have you checked his prices out
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some style of lockable nuts are useless too, but Nissbits for me.
    You'll need nuts to suit sunnies as completely different to alloy ones
    I brought 12 from Nissan to suit Ti GQ mags and only $5 each.
    They were for my trailer, so happy with that price

Black rims chrome nuts look good IMO
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st June 2013 at 06:44 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 720 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa try and get a set of genuine nuts either painted or chrome as their coatings will last a lot longer than aftermarket
    Also they are enclosed at the non tapered end. You could always get a set plated or anodized, it`s not that expensive .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry me bad, its was Patrolapart I got mine through
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Sorry me bad, its was Patrolapart I got mine through
    Oh well I just dropped Nizzbits a line. I'll do the same to Patrolapart.

Thanks folks
    Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have to be atleast 30mm long Cuppa and i got a set from ROH that cost me almost $50 but they are open ( the only 12 x 1.25 they had and have a 19mm head not 21mm as per factory) you also should be chasing enclosed because you don't want dirt and stuff fouling the threads.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alitis007 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (1st June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the following very prompt response from Nizzbits.

Thanks for your enquiry. I assume you just need tapered end nuts with a dome head.
    The black ones are not actually painted black so they are not a glossy black they are just a blackish plain steel nut. Both prices below.
    Black dome head taper shoulder wheel nuts $8.50 each x 24 = $204

Chrome dome head taper shoulder wheel nuts $6 each x 24 = $144

Postage $15 for whichever you need.

$219 for plain black nuts ..... hold me up someone I'm feeling a little faint! I wonder if they sell many?

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some chrome dome type nuts for $48 from local tyre mob, that was for 24.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I bought some chrome dome type nuts for $48 from local tyre mob, that was for 24.
    done the same enclosed chrome nuts less than $50
    01 gu td4.2t wagon factory turbo 2" lift, 3" exhaust,snorkel,awning,uhf,egt & boost gauges,16"black round hole dynamic rims with 285 bighorns with more to come, ,air compressor,rear led work lights,winch, ready to fit up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast